Anthem MCA 225 Gen 2 Power Amplifier
Please Note: This product is usually in stock at our supplier's warehouse and can be in our store within 1-2 days, ready for pickup or despatch. Thank you for shopping at Audio Trends.
Powerful 225 Watts Per Channel Stereo Amplifier
Made In Canada, 400 Watts Into 4Ω, 600 Watts Into 2Ω
Suitable For Stereo Or Home Theatre Systems
Matches The New Anthem AVM Processors & MRX AVRs
The Anthem MCA 225 Gen 2 power amplifier is one of the most accomplished power amplifiers available today. It is perfectly suited to both stereo and multi-channel audio visual systems and delivers a meaty 225 Watts into 8 ohms and a mighty 400 Watts into 4 ohms, but this amplifier doesn’t stop there. The MCA 225 Gen 2 will produce a whopping 600 Watts into 2 ohms, an impedance figure rarely contemplated by most brands, and that is a continuous 20 Hz to 20 kHz both channels driven figure, which is quite mind blowing.
About The Anthem MCA 225 Gen2 Power Amplifier
The MCA 225 Gen 2 is one of three amplifiers that Anthem has introduced to complement the new AVM 70 & AVM 90 AV processors as well as the new MRX 1140, 740 & 540 home theatre receivers. The 225 is a stereo amplifier and there is a 325 three channel and a 525 five channel model available as well. Mixing and matching these amplifiers with an Anthem AV processor or receiver will allow you to build up as many channels as you need to drive your speaker array. And if you need to add more channels the option is there at any time to expand your home theatre system to new heights. Compared to the originals, these new MCA amplifiers feature more robust and efficient power and heavy-duty reliability while delivering lower THD (total harmonic distortion) for clean, pure sound and lower noise for a supremely quiet background.
The MCA 225 Gen 2 and its siblings are designed and crafted in Canada and are like no other amplifier in the world. Their list of accomplishments are long and distinguished. For example, they have custom low noise high-power toroidal transformers, high-current bipolar output transistors, high-quality filter capacitors, advanced power supply regulators, oversized aluminium heatsinks, custom-designed dual binding posts and patented auto-on/off circuitry. This superior craftsmanship is reflected in clean, clear, audiophile-quality sound from the top to the bottom of the frequency spectrum.
Completely Redesigned: The new MCA Gen 2 series greatly reduces the use of internal cabling for a much smoother circuit path for pure, unobstructed audio performance. The use of low-flux toroidal transformers and improved input transistors provide a greater sense of transparency, even with dynamically complex material. Anthem have also improved other performance benchmarks including power bandwidth and slew rate. With a signal-to-noise ratio of 120 dB, background noise is practically non-existent, leaving you with just pure natural sound reproduction.
Massive Toroidal Power: MCA amplifiers deliver incredible dynamics thanks to massive ‘audiophile approved’ conservatively rated power supplies designed with high rail voltages. Low flux toroidal power transformers ensure ultra-quiet performance by minimising stray magnetic field radiation. This provides the pure, clean, low-noise power that is needed to reproduce the full dynamics of home theatre and the most complex and dynamic music recordings.
Advanced Load Monitoring Technology: Exclusive ALM technology monitors internal temperature, current and voltage to ensure safe and uninterrupted long term operation, all the while eliminating the need for internal fuses. ALM is not in the signal path, so it never gets in the way. Instead, ALM engages instantly, but only in the most extreme circumstances, to protect your amplifier (and speakers) from damage.
This new generation ALM lowers the chance of a line fuse blowing during an over-current condition. Should a fault condition arise, unaffected channels continue to play and all-channel operation resumes automatically once conditions are back to normal. The LED on the front panel confirms status at all times.
Green Standby Power Consumption: In addition to the reduced inrush current, these new MCA Gen 2 Amplifiers only use between 1-2W in ‘standby’ mode. As with all Anthem amplifiers, they can be switched on manually, via trigger, or by sensing an input signal.
Audiophile Binding Posts: New, larger, more conductive audiophile binding posts have been added to maximize contact and maintain a firm grip on the speaker cable, whether you’re using bare wire, banana plugs or spades.
Our Take On The Anthem MCA 225 Gen2 Power Amplifier
If you’re in the market for cutting-edge audio component separates, Anthem’s new MCA Gen 2 amplifiers balance the complex dynamics of today’s most demanding multi-channel media with the rare finesse required to satisfy the audiophile in you. MCA Gen 2 Amps provide an abundance of conservatively rated power into demanding low impedance loads, incredible reliability, and a new design aesthetic that matches Anthem’s sleek new AVM Processors & MRX AVRs.
Main Features & Specifications
- Design: High Performance Stereo Power Amplifier
- 225 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.015% THD with 2 channels driven
- 400 watts per channel into 4 ohms
- 600 watts per channel into 2 ohms
- Class AB design with 8 high-current bipolar output transistors per channel for lower distortion
- Low-noise, high-power toroidal transformer for stable, noise-free performance
- High-quality filter capacitors and advanced power supply regulators
- Advanced Load Monitoring technology monitors internal temperature, current, and voltage to ensure safe, uninterrupted operation
- 3-way on/off operation: manual, triggered, or signal-sensing auto on/off
- Stereo balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs
- Custom-designed binding post terminals accept bare wire, banana plugs, and spades
- 3.5mm trigger in/out jacks allow the amplifier to be turned on or off remotely
- Designed, engineered, and manufactured in Canada
- Detachable Power Cable: Improve the sound by upgrading to an Isotek power cable. Browse your upgrade options here
- THD at 100 W
- 1 kHz: 0.0010%
- 20 kHz: 0.015%
- IMD at 100 W
- ITU-R (19 kHz + 20 kHz): 0.0005%
- SMPTE (60 Hz + 7 kHz): 0.002%
- SNR, IEC-A, ref. 225 W: 120 dB
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz, ± 0.1 dB
- Power Bandwidth, -3 dB at 200 W into 8 ohms: 90 kHz
- Slew Rate: 30 V/μs
- Damping Factor, 20 Hz to 1 kHz: 300
- Channel Separation, 100 Hz to 10 kHz: >65 dB
- Input Impedance: RCA - 10 kΩ; XLR - 15 kΩ
- Input Sensitivity, 225 W into 8 Ω: 1.5 Vrms
- Voltage Gain: 29 dB
- Power Consumption
- Standby: 1.0 Watt
- Idle: 35 Watts
- Typical: 240 Watts
- High Output: 500 Watts
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 438 x 169 x 460mm
- Weight: 18 kg
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 2 Years
Note: Features & Specifications Subject To Change Without Notice. E&OE.