Wharfedale DX-2 Moviestar 5.1 Speaker System-Black
Please Note: This product is in stock at our supplier's warehouse and will be ready for pickup or immediate despatch within 1-2 days. Thank you for shopping at Audio Trends.
Voted As Best 5.1 Speaker Package under £500 By What Hi-Fi? Magazine And Understandably As The DX-2 Delivers A Wide And Expansive Soundstage
Finished In Deep Black
About The Wharfedale DX-2 System
Wharfedale's Moviestar DX-2 compact 5.1 surround speaker system looks stunning and delivers a big sound despite its diminutive size. With bags of detail and seamless cohesion between the components, this system creates an excellent sound, even in small rooms.
Wharfedale is a British company with a long and distinguished history in hi-fi and home cinema, and here it brings its considerable sonic know-how to the compact systems market. The Wharfedale DX-2 brings you a full 5.1 cinema setup in a single box for a very affordable price, which is fantastic value for money considering the sound quality is spot-on.
Elegant and compact, the new cinema package exudes not only a modern aesthetic but also boasts an excellent performance capability. The DX-2 consists of four beautifully sculptured satellite speakers - two for the front and two for the rear - plus a similarly diminutive and matching centre speaker and these are matched to a compact active subwoofer that has been engineered with a new generation Class D amplifier.
Satellite Speakers: We call them satellite speakers because they are a small, compact design. The speakers take their design cues from the multi-award-winning Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 standmount speakers, with their curved cabinets and silver-finished cone surrounds, albeit shrunk to a much smaller size – the satellite speakers are just 190mm high and feature a 19mm (0.75") Tweeter and 75mm (3") Mid/bass driver. The sealed cabinet design means they can be placed close to walls without affecting performance. Each satellite feels weighty and solid, with none of the plastic flimsiness you get from some one-box systems. They feel like proper high-quality hi-fi speakers, built to squeeze as much audio goodness from the source as possible.
Centre Speaker: The centre speaker features dual 75mm (3") drivers paired up with the 19mm (0.75") Tweeter to deliver rich and detailed sound. It also uses what’s called an aperiodic loading system to give it a boost in the low frequencies, consisting of a vent filled with resistive foam to control airflow. Its frequency response is slightly wider than the sats (80Hz – 20kHz). With the same drivers used throughout all five speakers everything knits together perfectly to form a convincing and absorbing 3D soundstage, underpinned by the power and punch of the subwoofer.
Subwoofer: The Wharfedale Moviestar DX-2 is one of the smallest and least intrusive subwoofers you will ever come across, measuring a tiny 285 x 318 x 320mm. It’s cube shaped and aesthetically matched to the satellites with its sleek gloss finish and curved edges. A grill on the front hides the 200mm woofer and all the important but rarely used controls are housed on the back. It features Auto Power on/off, independant volume control and a phase switch if you are placing somewhere other than at the front.
Speaker Terminals: The impressive build quality continues on the back with the inclusion of sturdy metal binding posts as opposed to the spring-clips more associated with speakers at this price-point. You’ll also find pre-attached keyhole brackets on the back for wall hanging, as well as an M6 threaded insert compatible with universal wall mount brackets (sold separately).
Speaker Cable: The package does not come with speaker cable. See below for what suits your needs or call us to order a specific length.
Speaker Brackets: Not required! There is a convenient slot that makes installation fast and easy. Of course we can help you with swivel brackets if needed.
Our Take On The DX-2
The Wharfedale DX-2 delivers smart, space-saving contemporary style and exhilarating sound for both movies and music – fast, punchy and detailed, with a sense of scale that belies the diminutive size of the speakers. Whatever you're watching, this speaker package will transport you into the heart of the action. Will work fine with a 5.1-channel Receiver in the $500 to $1000 price-range. If you're not sure of what suits your needs, just give our friendly and experienced staff a call on (03) 9874-8233.
Main Features & Specifications
- Description: Wharfedale 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System
- DX-2 Centre Speaker Design: Two-way Aperiodic design
- Quantity Included: 1
- High-Frequency Drive Unit: 1 x 19mm silk dome tweeter
- Mid/Bass Drive Unit: 2 x 75mm woven PP cones
- Frequency Response: 80Hz – 20kHz ±3dB
- Sensitivity: 86dB
- Crossover Frequency: 3.6kHz
- Recommended Amp (RMS): 30 – 80 Watts per channel in stereo mode
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 120 x 310 x 122mm
- Net Weight: 2.7kg
- Accessories: Includes small rubber feet
- DX-2 Satellite Speaker Design: Two-way closed-box system
- Quantity Included: 4
- High-Frequency Drive Unit: 1 x 19mm silk dome
- Mid/Bass Drive Unit: 1 x 75mm woven PP cone
- Frequency Response: 120Hz – 20kHz ±3dB
- Sensitivity: 84dB
- Crossover Frequency: 3.6kHz
- Recommended Amp (RMS): 30 – 80 Watts per channel in stereo mode - must be 'clean' power
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 190 x 120 x 122mm
- Net Weight: 2.0kg each
- Accessories: Rubber feet
- DX-2 Subwoofer Design: Active subwoofer with reflex loading
- Quantity Included: 1
- Driver: 1 x 200mm long-throw cone
- Frequency Response: 20-200Hz (+/-3dB)
- Rated Power Output: 70 Watts RMS
- Peak Power Output: 150 Watts
- Crossover Range: 30 – 150Hz (adjustable)
- Line-Level Inputs: Stereo line in (2 x RCA-phono)
- Signal-To-Noise Ratio (S/N): 86dB
- Auto Power: Yes
- Phase Inversion: Yes
- Dimensions with feet (HxWxD): 328 x 268 x 322mm
- Net Weight: 7.8kg
- Power Cord: Upgradeable to something better
- Finishes: Black, White
- Speaker Cable: Not included
- Warranty: 2 Years
Note: Features & Specifications Subject To Change Without Notice. E&OE