SVS PB-16 Ultra Subwoofer (Gloss Black)
Features A Massive 16” (406mm) Driver With 8" Voice Coil
Powerful 1,500 Watts Continuous Output
Fully Discrete MOSFET Amplifier
Triple Front-Firing High-Flow Ports
Before you listen to the SVS PB16-Ultra be sure to make sure you don’t have any loose fillings – otherwise you could be in trouble, because this monstrous subwoofer will shake anything that can move, and many things you thought were locked down. It can, by itself, form the foundation for the best home theatre setups but things get even better when two or more are specified. Bass this good is extremely addictive so if you ask for a demo … well, you have been warned. Just don’t bring your motorbike to pick them up, a 3 ton truck should do the trick.
The PB16-Ultra features a massive 16” (406mm) Ultra driver with an astonishing 8" edge wound voice coil, a stunningly powerful 1,500 watts continuous, 5,000+ watts peak power Sledge amplifier with fully discrete MOSFET output, triple 3.5" front-firing high-flow ports and an innovative subwoofer control and DSP smartphone app with custom presets for precise tuning. The ultimate ported box subwoofer.
One Subwoofer to Rule Them All: An unrelenting passion for breathtaking bass performance and engineering perfection guided every aspect of the PB16-Ultra subwoofer’s development. Ground breaking technology, rigorous design and extreme testing in real world and laboratory environments allowed SVS to achieve unmatched low frequency extension and output capabilities all while keeping it amazingly detailed and articulate. The culmination of all SVS design advancements, PB16-Ultra represents an incomparable bass experience. Nothing else comes close.
Massive New 16-inch SVS Ultra Driver: When designing the biggest and most formidable driver ever used in an SVS subwoofer, it was of utmost importance to meet or exceed the same supreme standards of control and accuracy as every other subwoofer SVS manufactures. One huge advancement that allows the PB16-Ultra to handle the crushing force of a 16-inch driver is the 8-inch edge wound voice coil, the largest ever deployed in a consumer subwoofer. This innovation ensures ultra-low distortion and pinpoint control at the highest drive levels resulting in incredible output and low frequency extension. By nature, larger drivers are more difficult to control, but the unprecedented voice coil design ensures accuracy in frequency response and speed in transients without ever sounding boomy.
Pushing the driver are four massive, dedicated toroidal ferrite magnets that unleash a staggering 95mm peak to peak excursion and the highest levels of motor force and palpable SPLs. The light and rigid 16-inch Ultra driver cone consists of a premium fiberglass resin composite with optimal stiffness to mass ratio to maximize movement of air and sonic energy without ever distorting or losing control.
Stunningly Powerful, New 1,500 Watt Sledge Amplifier: Conservatively rated at 1,500 watts continuous, 5,000+ watts peak power, the PB16-Ultra Sledge STA-1500D amplifier’s 64 Amp 200-Volt MOSFETs are the sonic muscle behind arguably the most powerful and highest fidelity subwoofer amplifier ever developed. Discrete MOSFET output unbridles the nearly limitless power in the Sledge amplifier and pushes the 16-inch driver to extreme levels of performance. They also represent an upgrade over the less robust integrated circuit output stages found in nearly all other Class D subwoofer amplifiers.
Effortless power must be harnessed to ensure refined behaviour and pristine output at the most demanding drive levels. To achieve this, the PB16-Ultra subwoofer uses the audio industry’s most advanced 50 MHz Analog Devices Audio DSP with 56bit filtering to handle the nearly limitless power, only unleashing the perfect amount of low frequency energy at just the right time.
Innovative New Smartphone App: Compatible with Apple® and Android® platforms, the innovative PB16-Ultra smartphone app unleashes the full depth, force and nuance of the world’s finest subwoofer. The ground breaking SVS subwoofer app controls all DSP functions and conveniently stores custom presets. It’s the easiest way ever to fine tune bass surpassing 16Hz at reference volumes from the comfort of your favourite seat.
For added convenience, 2-way feedback shows updates in real time on both the app and subwoofer interface and Bluetooth connectivity allows adjustments to be made even when the subwoofer is not in sight. Control is also available via IR remote and an intuitive front panel display.
Acoustically Inert, Rigidly Braced Cabinet: A subwoofer capable of creating such extreme levels of sonic energy requires a formidable cabinet design. The PB16-Ultra is built with a double thick MDF front baffle and rigid internal bracing to support the massive drive unit and to ensure an acoustically inert environment. The highly reinforced internal design eliminates any chance of coloration or resonance from the cabinet, even when the deepest low frequencies are played at reference sound pressure levels.
Problems With Vibrations From Your Subwoofer? Try This: To isolate your subwoofer from the floor and provide improved bass performance while reducing floor and wall vibrations, noise artefacts and complaints from neighbours or roommates, choose the SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System (6 Pack).
In The News
"Smile-inducing bass, the kinetic energy reached deafening reference listening levels. My jaw was stuck ajar. Very Highly Recommended.” Sound & Vision
“The single best home subwoofer available today.“ The Master Switch
It’s hard to know where to start with the SVS PB-16 Ultra. It really is the black hole of subwoofers. Sometimes it seems to suck everything out of the room, oxygen included, and then the next moment the room is full to overflowing with the vastness of the universe, including the lowest, heart stopping, bowel moving bass you’ve ever experienced. It’s good to know the sub is completely in control because you know for sure that you are not, merely the puppet on the end of a 13Hz tsunami of terror inducing ferocity.
The App is nice, the construction quality is very nice, but the weight is hernia inducing, the cabinet size is ginormous enough to live in and the gargantuan woofer looks like it’s going to tear you apart and feed you piece by piece to the three waiting ports below.
All in all, a very nice subwoofer which we highly recommend.
Main Features & Specifications
Frequency Response / Acoustic Data
- 15-280 Hz +/- 3 dB (standard mode – all ports open)
- 13-280 Hz +/- 3 dB (extended mode – 2 ports open)
- 14-360 Hz +/- 3 dB (sealed mode – all ports sealed)
- 2-meter ground plane away from reflective structures (quasi-anechoic).
- Roll-off slope specifically optimized to take maximum advantage of available room gain
- SVS 16” (406mm) Ultra-series driver
- Powder-coated cast aluminium basket
- Four high-grade ferrite magnets
- Finite Element Analysis (FEA)-optimized motor structure
- Dual shorting rings reduce gap induction and lower distortion
- Extended pole piece improves heat sink and thermal management properties
- 8” diameter, high-power edge wound voice coil
- 95mm peak to peak Xmech excursion (82mm Xmax)
- Upgraded Nomex spider for improved linearity and driver control at extreme drive levels
- Dual 24-strand copper and Nomex composite high-temperature leads provide a pristine electrical connection from the amplifier to the voice coil
- Premium glass fibre laminated dustcap and reinforced composite cone sub-structure ensure a light, ridged, and neutral radiating surface
- Low-creep rubber long-throw surround for excellent durability and longevity
- Sledge STA-1500D DSP amplifier
- 1,500 watts RMS continuous (5,000+ watts peak dynamic)
- Efficient and cool-running Class D topology
- High resolution 50Mhz Analog Devices Audio DSP with double precision 56bit filtering is most advanced subwoofer processor available for perfect audio reproduction
- Active PFC (Power Factor Correction) ensures the cleanest 1500W output regardless of your home mains supply
- XLR and RCA stereo input/output with ultra-wide input voltage for consumer and professional audio applications
- Convenient front-mounted display with subwoofer controls and 8 digit LED display
- Groundbreaking Subwoofer Control and Bass Management Smartphone App for Apple and Android Devices
- IR Remote Control
- Three user adjustable parametric EQs
- Continuously variable volume/gain control
- Continuously variable (0-180 degrees) phase control
- Continuously variable (30-200 Hz) 6, 12, 18, or 24 dB/octave low pass filter frequency with disable/LFE setting
- Main power rocker switch
- Auto-On / On / Trigger Controls
- 3-12V trigger with 1/8” (3.5 mm) TRS mini-jack input
- Green standby mode with > 0.5 watts consumption
- Input impedance 22kohm (RCA)/ 22kohm (XLR).
- RoHS compliant, lead-free construction and world-wide safety certifications
- Detachable power cord
- Please Note: To isolate your subwoofer from the floor and provide improved bass performance while reducing floor and wall vibrations, noise artefacts and complaints from neighbours or roommates, choose the SVS SoundPath Subwoofer Isolation System (6 Pack)
- Black Oak and Piano Gloss Black finish options
- Protective non-resonant steel mesh grille
- Front-firing 16" driver
- Rear-mounted amplifier
- Triple front-firing flared high-flow ports
- Screw-in rubber feet
- Robust Medium Density Fiberboard(MDF) cabinet construction
- Cabinet Dimensions (WxHxD without grille): 551 x 635 x 719mm
- Cabinet Dimensions (WxHxD with grille): 551 x 635 x 785mm
- Shipped Dimensions (WxHxD): 699 x 869 x 980mm
- Weight: 79kg
- Shipped Weight: 94kg
- 5 years
Note: Features & Specifications Subject To Change Without Notice. E&OE