Sony X80H 49" 4K UHD Android TV
Remarkable Realism Of 4K HDR Processor X1™
TRILUMINOS™ Display For A Wider Colour Range
Upscale Any Content Closer To 4K With 4K X-Reality™ PRO
Equipped With Dolby Vision And Dolby Atmos
Voice Remote With Built-In Microphone
The X80H series is one of Sony's best value TV line-ups, but there's still a 'mountain' of technology packed inside. With high-powered image processing, the 49" X80H delivers clearer, more vibrant 4K images than most comparable-priced TVs and these Pro versions have even more features than the basic models. Audio Trends realise that buying a new TV is a big decision and involves a big chunk of hard-earned coin and that's why Sony has been popular with us since 1975 - the year colour TV broadcasts began in Australia. We've bought them for our own homes! And with a 3-Year Sony warranty included with in-home service (Metro areas) you will have complete peace of mind.
Of course, Sony are still at the forefront of TV technology and that's because they are a leader and not a follower. Their research and dominance in the professional fields of TV broadcasting and Hollywood movies is well-known and especially when it comes to 4K technology. And who could forget their dominance in the Blu-ray disc arena and partnership with Philips in producing the compact disc! Sony absolutely have the credentials. Let's get started by reviewing the video features.
Ultra 4K Resolution: For the ultimate in picture quality, this TV pairs the brilliance of 4K clarity with the brightness, colour and detail of High Dynamic Range (HDR). With 4K UHD, you'll see more on TV than ever before with over 8 million individual pixels (3,840 x 2,160) compared to about 2 million (1,920 x 1,080) on a1080p HDTV. The detail is so vivid and crisp, even when viewed from close distances; it's nearly impossible to discern a single pixel, even from just a few centimetres away. Combined with 4K Ultra HD resolution, HDR video content delivers exceptional detail, colour and contrast, with a far wider range of brightness than other video formats. The result is the most lifelike picture TVs have ever been able to create, with brilliant highlights and fine detail.
4K HDR Processor X1: The Sony UHD TV is exclusively powered by Sony's proprietary 4K HDR processor X1 for rich 4K images with real world detail and texture. The 4K Processor X1 utilises advanced algorithms and incorporates innovative technologies to produce pictures that are sharp, clear, and incredibly lifelike. You'll see pure colours at higher brightness levels for exceptionally realistic pictures.
4K X-Reality Pro Upscaler Dual Database Processing: Sony's 4K X-Reality Pro Upscaler with Dual Database Processing enhances Ultra-HD, HD, and SD images by analysing and refining images with beautifully natural detail and clarity. One database is used to clean the picture, reducing on-screen noise. The other is used to upscale the resolution, improving clarity. These two powerful image improvement databases work together, dynamically improving pixels in real time. Each database has tens of thousands of references, amassed from our experience creating content for TV and movies over the years. With 4K X-Reality PRO and Dual Database Processing, every image is upscaled closer to true 4K quality for remarkable clarity. This 4K television upscales your favourite TV shows, DVD and Blu-ray movies, even video-on-demand content, and smartphone videos to Ultra-HD.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): Dynamic range is something we often associate with audio, but here High Dynamic Range (HDR) applies to the image and the circuit enhances the dynamic range of the picture, increasing the contrast between the brightest whites and darkest blacks. Every pixel is made more accurate, regardless of resolution, bringing scenes to life with greater detail. HDR's greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels brings greater contrast & wider colour spectrum to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colours, plus greater depth. Previously hidden areas of dark shadow and sunlight are now full of clarity and detail. Movies and TV shows in HDR are closer to the original recording and the director's vision with more brightness, contrast and colour, for a truly lifelike viewing experience.
MotionFlow XR 100 Technology: Enjoy smooth and sharp details even in fast-moving sequences with Motionflow XR 100. Sony's MotionFlow XR 100 technology features a backlight control that is synchronised with the liquid crystal movement from frame-to-frame creating clearer, sharper moving images. MotionFlow XR 100 combines 50 frames-per-second with the TV's LED backlight system to simulate a 100Hz effect. This innovative technology creates and inserts extra frames between the original ones and then compares key visual factors on successive frames, then calculates the split second of missing action in the sequences. MotionFlow XR 100 provides smooth detail during fast-action scenes for fast action movies and sports by reducing blur caused by quick camera movements, enhancing image sharpness, and overall creating a clearer picture.
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Audio Return Channel within the television's HDMI 3 input enables the TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to an AV receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the television to your AV receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to the TV.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony Ultra-HD TV supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the TV's network connection you gain access to Android TV and Google Play, as well as content stored on your network computer. You also get the ability to stream content from your Android or Apple iOS mobile device to the TV. In addition, the TV supports WiFi Direct for wireless connectivity between WiFi enabled devices without a router.
Remote Control: The remote offers soft push-button control and features a built-in mic for voice recognition. The built-in microphone provides voice control of select Android TV functions through the built-in Google Assistant. The remote even has dedicated Google Play & Netflix buttons, so you can access your Netflix movies and TV shows quicker. The remote control operates the TV via Bluetooth, but can also be programmed to operate cable boxes and satellite receivers via IR. In addition, the TV is compatible with universal IR remote controls (such as the Logitech Harmony - sold separately).
Digital Voice Assistant Control: The Sony UHD TV will support voice control of select functions through the built-in Google Assistant & optional Amazon Alexa enabled devices via a wireless network connection.
Remote Apps: The Sony Ultra-HD TV offers remote control capability through your Android or Apple iOS device via the Android TV Remote App or Sony's Video & TV SideView Remote App. Apple iPad users can even use the Spotlight by Samba TV app (not available everywhere) with the Sony UHD TV to get content recommendations.
Smarthome Control: The Sony UHD TV can be integrated with smarthome devices that are compatible with Google Assistant (built-in), Apple HomeKit (sold separately). Smarthome control requires that the Sony TV and all compatible devices be connected to the same WiFi wireless network.
Digital Signage: It's easy to create attractive digital signage, mixing media files and online content with no need for additional player hardware. There's also a wide range of APIs (Application Programming Interface) options to enable remote control/monitoring and integration with external systems. Android TV makes your professional display experience even smarter, allowing you to search apps and content with easy hands-free voice searches. Integration in corporate environments is simplified by Pro mode that allows easy customisation of display settings to suit different applications.
Customers who have purchased the 85" set have commented on how pleasantly surprised they were with the excellent picture. So with the same amount of pixels in the smaller sets you can be sure they will be even better! Truthfully, the 80 series of 4K HDTV's from Sony are exceptional in every area and suit the price-conscious customer who wants the biggest bang for the buck. They deliver good picture quality thanks to its excellent contrast ratio, high peak brightness, and wide colour gamut. With Sony Motion-Blur XR-100, they have a fast response time that results in very little motion blur, and its input lag is low enough to satisfy even serious gamers. HDR content is delivered with vibrant colours and highlights that feature. One customer also commented simply by saying: "Pair this set with a 4K player and then watch Avatar on a blue ray disc. There is not much to add to that". The only negative is that it has a narrow viewing angle which means that viewers need to sit more towards the middle or just off centre to enjoy the best picture. If this is a problem, or you want Bluetooth audio and Netflix calibration and better picture processing, step up to the 90H or 95H series which have these features and can be viewed from more extreme angles.
Sound likewise is "TV sound" so you do need a decent soundbar and subwoofer combination and big enough to deliver you an audio performance equal to the size of the image and room. Checkout our combination TV and Speaker packages. We also like the 3-year in-house Sony warranty.
Main Features & Specifications
- Screen Diagonal: 48.5" (1230mm)
- Screen Resolution: 4K (3840 x 2160 pixels)
- Blur Reduction: Motion Flow XR-100 blur reduction (Simulated 100Hz refresh rate/Native 50Hz refresh rate)
- High Dynamic Range Format: Dolby Vision, HDR10, HLG. These 'extend' picture contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content
- TRILUMINOS Display Technology: For a wider colour range
- Picture Processor X1 4K HDR: Produces pictures rich with lifelike detail and texture
- 4K X-Reality PRO: Upscales images to near-4K clarity
- Object-based HDR Remaster: Improves colour and contrast for SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) content
- Super Bit Mapping 4K HDR: Reduces banding for a smoother, more natural picture
Video Source Compatibility
- Compatible Video Streaming Apps: Watch streamed 4K video sources like Netflix, Stan, Disney-plus, Amazon Prime, Foxtel, Kayo, Optus Sport and YouTube (requires internet speed of at least 20Mbps); some services require a subscription.
- Free-to-Air TV: Inbuilt digital tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
Smart TV Features
- Android TV with Chromecast built-in lets you cast your favourite entertainment apps and video content from your Android or iOS device, or laptop
- Compatible with Apple HomeKit and AirPlay 2 to allow wireless streaming from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac (via future firmware update)
- supports voice control of compatible apps:
- Built-in Google Assistant: Controls basic TV functions and works with compatible voice control assistants
- Amazon Alexa: Works with Amazon Alexa-compatible voice control assistants
- Wi-Fi: Dual-band Wi-Fi 5 provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- HDMI Inputs: 4 x HDMI 2.0b inputs are HDCP 2.3 compatible for connecting to copy-protected 4K video sources
- to view the highest-quality 4K and HDR content from connected sources, use a high-bandwidth HDMI cable
- ARC: The HDMI 3 input supports ARC but not e/ARC
- Composite Video Input: 1 - 3.5mm A/V minijack — adapter cable required
- Antenna Input: RF input for antenna/cable signals
- Toslink optical digital audio output (can pass Dolby Digital/DTS multichannel or 2-channel audio from connected sources)
- Audio Output: 3.5mm stereo minijack headphone output — can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
- Ethernet Port: For the fastest, most secure internet connection
- USB Inputs: Two for connecting a thumb drive or hard drive
- Speakers: Built-in down-firing speakers (10 watts x 2) - for basic TV sound. Check out or huge range of soundbars
- Voice Remote with built-in microphone
- Dimensions With Stand (WxHxD): 1101 x 704 x 286mm
- Dimensions Without Stand (WxHxD): 1101 x 645 x 57mm
- Nett Weight: 12.1kg with stand; 11.6kg without stand
- Shipping Weight: 17kg
- Wall-mountable (bracket sold separately)
- VESA mounting hole pattern: 200mm x 200mm
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 3 year parts & labour — in-home service (Metro Areas Only)
Note: Features & Specifications Subject To Change Without Notice. All images simulated