Sony A8H 65" 4K Ultra HD Android OLED TV
Picture Processor X1 Ultimate And Pixel Contrast Booster Produce Unparalleled Realism
Upscale Any Content To 4K With 4K X-Reality PRO
Acoustic Surface Technology Makes Entire Screen A Speaker
3 Year Sony Warranty For Total Peace of Mind
The Sony A8H boasts a strikingly industrial design, and the outer few millimetres of the screen are as mind-blowingly thin as we’ve come to expect from OLED technology. These skinny bits are exceptionally beautifully finished on the 65A8H, as well as being impressively sturdy and robust. The metallic nature of this trim continues the high build quality, and the relatively subtle desktop feet do their job with minimal distraction and yes, it can be wall-mounted. But, it's all about the picture with this OLED design, so lets get into it.
Movie fans love OLED TVs for their striking picture contrast and vibrant colours and Sony definitely deliver in spades with the A8H series. Upscaling of sub-4K content is marvellous. High levels of detail and texture are added seemingly effortlessly, without causing the image to look strained or noisy. This even holds good if you feed the A8H a seriously grainy or low quality source.
OLED Technology: The A8H TV screen has millions of self-illuminating OLED pixels that can be individually activated to reproduce truly lifelike pictures. With over 8 million self-illuminating, individually controlled OLED pixels, you'll see real black, incredible contrast, and lifelike colour. These OLED pixels work individually and can be turned off completely to deliver absolute black. Each pixel can go from off to bright in a fraction of a second. Because each pixel lights up independently, you'll see more accurate detail, colour, and shades in every scene. This level of supreme contrast reveals detail, depth, textures, and colours for a view that's stunningly real. See video images that are bright and clear from any angle. Even in fast-moving scenes there's no blur; you'll see everything in perfect clarity.
Ultra 4K Resolution: For the ultimate in picture quality, the TV pairs the brilliance of 4K clarity with the brightness, colour, and detail of High Dynamic Range (HDR). With 4K UHD, you'll see more on TV than ever before with over 8 million individual pixels (3,840 x 2,160) compared to about 2 million (1,920 x 1,080) on a1080p HDTV. Its detail is so vivid and crisp, even when viewed from close distances; it's nearly impossible to discern a single pixel, even from just a few centimetres away. Combined with 4K Ultra HD resolution, HDR video content delivers exceptional detail, colour and contrast, with a far wider range of brightness than other video formats. The result is the most lifelike picture with brilliant highlights and fine detail.
Picture Processor X1 Ultimate: Moving from film to TV requires content to be digitally compressed, which affects picture quality. What the creator sees during shooting is encoded before transmission to the television, then decoded and converted so it can be displayed on the panel. Sony's Picture Processor X1 Ultimate minimises image deterioration during this process utilising the following technologies. While developing Picture Processor X1 Ultimate, Sony followed a 'not one bit lost' philosophy. Signals are processed at ultra-high bit rates, then restored to their original quality. High-precision components in the signal processor help preserve detail across the whole image for TV ultimate realism and visual expression. With unmatched processing power, the Picture Processor X1 Ultimate detects hundreds of different objects on-screen and intelligently enhances brightness, detail and colour so everything you watch is clear, bright and incredibly realistic.
4K X-Reality Pro Upscaler w/ Dual Database Processing: Sony's 4K X-Reality Pro Upscaler w/ Dual Database Processing enhances Ultra-HD, HD and SD images by analysing and refining images with beautifully natural detail and clarity. One database is used to clean the picture, reducing on-screen noise. The other is used to upscale the resolution, improving clarity. These two powerful image improvement databases work together, dynamically improving pixels in real time. Each database has tens of thousands of references, amassed from Sony's experience creating content for TV and movies over the years. With 4K X-Reality PRO and Dual Database Processing, every image is upscaled closer to true 4K quality for remarkable clarity. This beautiful 4K television upscales your favourite TV shows, DVD and Blu-ray movies, even video-on-demand content and smartphone videos to Ultra-HD.
X-Motion Clarity: With pictures created by millions of individually controlled pixels, everything is sharp and clear on a Sony OLED TV. However, with Sony's X-Motion Clarity technology, even fast action stays smooth and clear. Moving images are precisely controlled to minimise blur so that pictures remain true with less loss in brightness during high-speed scenes - everything is smooth, bright and clear.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): High Dynamic Range (HDR) enhances the dynamic range of a picture, increasing the contrast between the brightest whites and darkest blacks. Every pixel is made more accurate, regardless of resolution, bringing scenes to life with greater detail. HDR's greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels brings greater contrast & wider colour spectrum to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colours, plus greater depth. Previously hidden areas of dark shadow and sunlight are now full of clarity and detail. Movies and TV shows in HDR are closer to the original recording and the director's vision with more brightness, contrast and colour, for a truly lifelike viewing experience. "Dark HDR scenes, for instance, show off Sony’s fantastic control over one of the trickiest aspects of OLED technology: the transition from full to near black colours. There’s no sign at all of the low-level noise some OLED screens can suffer with in very dark areas. In fact, we have yet to see such excellent control, refinement and black level depth and consistency from any other OLED TV - or any other TV period, actually." - Techradar Review. Note, video content must be encoded using HDR.
IMAX Enhanced Technology: Get the most premium at-home entertainment experience with IMAX Enhanced; the latest technology program from IMAX that sets a new standard for image, sound, scale and content quality. This new certification and licensing program combines IMAX digitally re-mastered 4K HDR content and DTS audio technologies to offer a new level of quality in immersive sight and sound experiences in the home. IMAX Enhanced lets you experience premium content digitally remastered by IMAX, so you can watch the highest-quality 4K movies with immersive audio delivered by DTS. Not only will IMAX Enhanced content look and sound amazing, but other audio/video content will also look and sound great too.
Netflix Calibrated Mode: Netflix has been actively investing in the production of original programming using the latest video image standards, and has developed Netflix Calibrated Mode in conjunction with Sony to ensure picture quality preservation. This mode was specially developed to reproduce the same picture quality as a studio evaluation Master for television in order to preserve the filmmaker's vision and intent.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony OLED supports a wired or wireless network connection. Via the TV's network connection you gain access to Android TV and Google Play, as well as content stored on your network computer. You also get the ability to stream content from your Android or Apple iOS mobile device to the TV. In addition, the TV supports WiFi Direct for wireless connectivity between WiFi enabled devices without a router.
Android TV w/ Google Play: The Sony OLED TV is equipped with Android's PIE (9.0) operating system and incorporates Android TV with access to a wide variety of apps from Google Play which have been optimized for playback on the big screen. Android TV gives you access to over 5,000 movie, music, sports, and other entertainment apps (subscription, rental, or purchase fees may apply). Click here to discover the full collection of Android TV Apps from Google Play. Not all Google Play apps will be Android TV compatible. More applications and streaming services will be available in the future.
You may have skipped most of the above stuff and we get that but that's not even half of the material that has been written on Sony OLED TVs including the A8H. The thing to remember is that this is an OLED TV and has a brightness limitation, something to keep in mind if you’re thinking of putting the set in a bright room. However, if you intend using it at night or with the (blockout type) drapes closed then a few "Sony tricks" will make HDR pictures actually look pretty good. Dedicated home theatre rooms of course shouldn't have any light issues so will show off this virtual TV wall look amazing. Sound? Sony have employed Acoustic Surface Audio Technology - the entire screen is a speaker so that the sound moves with the action. Honestly it is pretty amazing, but reading reviews from all over the globe (English of course) most including owners conclude that you still need a decent soundbar or TV sound system. Lastly, Audio Trends sell the "Pro Versions" of these sets and these offer (1) extensive networking options and (2) a Sony 3-year parts and labour warranty with in-home service in all metro areas or those close to a regional service centre.
Main Features & Specifications
- Model: Sony A8H Pro Version with extensive networking features
- Screen Size: 64.5" screen (measured diagonally)
- Screen Resolution: 4K - 3840 x 2160 pixels
- High Dynamic Range: Dolby Vision, HDR10, HLG extends picture contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content
- Pixel-Level Dimming: This enables each of the panel's 8.3 million pixels to brighten, dim, or power off completely, for exceptional detail and absolute black
- Pixel Contrast Booster: This enhances colour contrast in high-luminance scenes
- TRILUMINOS Display Technology: For a wider colour range
- Picture Processor X1 Ultimate
- 4K X-Reality PRO upscales images to near-4K clarity
- Object-based Super Resolution enhances detail
- Object-based HDR Remaster improves colour and contrast for SDR (Standard Dynamic Range) content
- Netflix Calibrated Mode: Mimics the settings on Netflix's mastering monitors to ensure an accurate picture
- IMAX Enhanced Certification: Enjoy improved performance with IMAX Enhanced 4K/HDR content (via future firmware update)
- 10-bit panel can display over one billion colours
- X-Motion Clarity Blur Reduction: 100Hz refresh rate/50Hz Native
Video Source Compatibility
- Compatible Video Streaming Apps: Watch streamed 4K video sources like Netflix, Stan, Disney-plus, Amazon Prime, Foxtel, Kayo, Optus Sport and YouTube (requires internet speed of at least 20Mbps); some services require a subscription
- Free-to-Air TV: Inbuilt digital tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (suitable antenna required - sold separately)
Smart TV Features
- Android TV with Chromecast Built-In: Lets you cast your favourite entertainment apps and video content from your Android™ or iOS® device, or laptop
- Wireless Streaming: Compatible with Apple® HomeKit and AirPlay 2 to allow wireless streaming from your iPhone, iPad, or Mac (via future firmware update)
- Voice-Control: Supports voice control of compatible apps:
- Built-in Google Assistant — controls basic TV functions and works with compatible voice control assistants
- Works with Amazon Alexa-compatible voice control assistants
- Wi-Fi: Dual-band Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- Netflix Recommended TV — offers a unique feature set that makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy
- HDMI 2.0b
- all 4 HDMI inputs are HDCP 2.3 compatible for connecting to copy-protected 4K video sources
- to view 4K and HDR content from connected sources, use a high-bandwidth HDMI cable
- HDMI 3 input supports eARC/ARC
- Composite Video: 1 x 3.5mm A/V minijack - adapter cable required (sold separately)
- Antenna Input: RF input for antenna/cable signals
- Digital Audio: Toslink optical digital audio output - can pass Dolby Digital/DTS multi-channel or 2-channel audio from connected sources
- Headphone Jack: 1 x 3.5mm stereo minijack - may need an adaptor for 6.3mm jacks (sold separately)
- can also be connected to a sound bar or other audio system
- Ethernet Port: For the fastest, most secure internet connection
- 3 USB inputs (two 2.0, one 3.0) for connecting to a thumb drive or hard drive
- Acoustic Surface Audio Technology: The entire screen is a speaker so that the sound moves with the action
- power output: 30 watts total
- at this quality level, we would presume domestic buyers will be purchasing a dedicated audio system
- Acoustic Auto Calibration: The microphone in the remote measures your room's "sound" and optimises settings
- Bluetooth Wireless Audio Streaming: To a compatible speaker or set of headphones
- the TV's built-in speakers and audio outputs are disabled when streaming audio to Bluetooth headphones or speakers
- can send Dolby Atmos audio to the TV's speakers, or to an A/V receiver via HDMI/eARC, when using the TV's HDMI inputs or built-in streaming apps
- Remote Control: Voice Remote with built-in microphone
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 1448 x 857 x 326mm with stand; 1448 x 836 x 52mm without stand
- Nett Weight: 23.6 kg with stand; 21.8 kg without stand
- Stand: Detachable dual-footer stand ("footprint" is 1005mm W x 326mm D)
- footers can be set to provide greater vertical clearance (70mm) for use with a sound bar
- Wall-Mountable: Bracket not included - sold separately
- VESA mounting hole pattern: 300mm x 300mm
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 3 year parts & labour in-house warranty (Metro Areas Only)
Note: Features & Specifications Subject to change without notice. E&OE