Marantz NR1200 Stereo Receiver
Slimline 75 Watt Network Stereo Receiver
Phono Input, Built-In DAC & Music Streaming Capabilities
Connect To Your Smart TV via HDMI ARC
Since the 1950’s Marantz have continually evolved, incorporating the latest technology and highest quality in all of their products. Their latest product, the NR1200 is a curious mix of stereo receiver and home theatre centrepiece.
About Marantz NR1200 Stereo Receiver
Since the 1950’s Marantz have continually evolved, incorporating the latest technology and highest quality in all of their products. Their latest product, the NR1200 is a curious mix of stereo receiver and home theatre centrepiece. As someone who uses a stereo system at home for all my audio visual needs this approach makes perfect sense. Many people don’t want or need the expense of all those surround sound speakers and definitely don’t want loudspeakers taking over their living room space. For them the idea of a discrete 2 channel system that has the same high quality sound is very appealing. For many it’s all about connectivity, with their latest television, their streaming services, internet and traditional radio and the option of hooking up a good old fashion record player if the desire hits them. And the NR1200 can satisfy all those requirements and more.
With the NR1200 you can enjoy high quality audio performance listening to analogue and digital sources. With FM/DAB+ radio and a wide array of connectivity including a phono input, network integration and HDMI, this product is sure to upgrade your listening and home theatre experience. Featuring advanced custom amplifier design and a strong power supply, the NR1200 ensures your loudspeakers deliver detailed, precise imaging and impactful sound. With 4K Ultra HD HDMI and the latest wireless music streaming technologies (Wi-Fi, AirPlay 2, Bluetooth and HEOS Built-in), the NR1200 integrates seamlessly with your TV, music services and hi-fi system. Enjoy network streaming and USB front-panel audio playback of MP3, WAV, FLAC, ALAC and DSD (2.8/5.6MHz) files. Equipped with A/B speaker terminals, dual subwoofer pre-outs, two digital and three analogue inputs, one phono (MM) input for your turntable and HDMI ARC for TV audio, the NR1200 delivers a premium stereo listening experience like no other.
A Closer Look At The NR1200 Receiver
The Most Musical Sound: The NR1200 has been extensively tuned by Marantz sound masters at the most state-of-the-art facilities to deliver an exquisite sonic signature. No component leaves the hands of Marantz sound masters until it passes rigorous testing. Envelop yourself with the most musical sound, from any source.
Built for pure Marantz musical reproduction, the NR1200 features a power transformer wired independently from the circuits of the amplifier, pre amplifier, wireless module and front display, which reduces interference and provides pure, clean sound.
Whatever your audiophile inclinations, the Marantz NR1200 always delivers the sound you require through its powerful high-current discrete power amplifier. With 75W of power per channel (8-ohm, 20Hz – 20kHz, 0.08% THD), enjoy your high-resolution musical collection with refined Marantz sound. The amplifier circuitry features separate, symmetrical left and right power amplifiers, with a central power supply distribution. This design improves channel separation, reduces crosstalk and preserves the musical sound stage clarity that you expect from Marantz.
Latest HDMI Connectivity: The generous connectivity includes five HDMI inputs, each one supporting HDCP 2.3, 4K Ultra HD 60Hz video, 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling, HLG, High Dynamic Range (HDR10), 21:9 video, 3D and BT.2020 pass-through. Plus, ARC (Audio Return Channel) supports the transmission of audio from your TV with a single HDMI cable, simplifying overall setup. HDMI inputs automatically rename themselves with information provided by the source.
Dual DAC Differential Circuit Design: The NR1200 features two high-class AK4458 DACs per channel, configured in dual-differential mode, including the subwoofer channels. This design greatly improves the signal to noise ratio, increasing the dynamic range significantly and helps reproduce clearer sound even from sources with very low signal resolution.
Speaker A/B Capabilities: The NR1200 features very convenient speaker A/B functionality. This allows you to easily configure it to drive two pairs of loudspeakers in separate rooms. You can also use the speaker A/B capability to drive a single pair of bi-wired audiophile compatible speakers.
Connectivity, Streaming & Multi-Room Listening: The NR1200 makes it simple to stream the most popular music services — like Spotify, Deezer, Tidal and many more — via Bluetooth, AirPlay 2 or the Marantz HEOS app.
With HEOS Built-in technology, you can enjoy your favourite music in any room of your home for a wireless, whole-home audio experience. Play the same song in every room or select a different song for each connected room — the choice is yours. Enjoy music from Spotify, Deezer, Tidal, and more or your local music file libraries. With additional HEOS Built-in components, like HEOS-capable speakers, play all your music in one room or many.
Supports Major Voice Control Agents: Enjoy effortless voice control and total flexibility from the leading voice agents and HEOS Built-in. Speak commands with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple Siri. Ask to play your favourite music, turn the volume up, skip to the next track, switch inputs and more. Switch between voice agents or pick a favourite to use — you’re in control. Functionality varies by voice agent.
Hi-Res Audio Support: The NR1200 decodes hi-res audio ALAC, FLAC and WAV lossless files up to 24-bit/192-kHz, as well as DSD 2.8MHz and 5.6MHz tracks (the audiophile format of SACD) which lets you enjoy music exactly as the artist intended. Listen to your music via the front panel USB port or over network sources.
Integrated Phono Input: Vinyl enthusiasts definitely get their due with the NR1200, which includes a phono input to access the high-quality built-in MM moving magnet phono preamplifier. This lets you easily connect your analogue turntable to the receiver and enjoy the pure intent of each recording within your vinyl collection.
Dual Subwoofer Outputs: The NR1200 supports dual subwoofers for even, low-frequency bass response within your listening environment. Using dual subwoofers is a great way to ensure that you can enjoy accurate, dynamic, impactful bass with no audible peaks or dips.
Easy to Setup, Easy to Use: Easy to set up and easy to use, the NR1200 features a horizontal row of color-coded, premium loudspeaker terminals with a set of matching cable-labels included to ensure correct hook-up. The included Setup Assistant offers clear, graphical on-screen direction, and the Quick Start Guide ensures optimal setup for any configuration.
Four Smart Select function buttons on the included remote control store your preferred setup — including input and volume. With the push of a button, the NR1200 perfectly configures for any source, from Blu-ray to TV set-top box, to your favourite Internet radio station and more.
The Marantz AVR Remote app for iOS and Android provides complete control over the latest Marantz network AV receivers. Use it to power on/off, adjust volume, input and settings, or switch instantly to the HEOS app.
Smart TV Connectivity: Easily control the NR1200 with your Smart TV remote via the HDMI CEC functionality associated with your Smart TV. Simply set “HDMI Control” to ON in your receiver, then set “Smart Menu” to ON to begin controlling the receiver with your TV remote. The Smart Menu home screen gives you quick access to source and surround mode selections, the AVR setup menu and four Smart Select options.
Intelligent ECO Mode: Integrated ECO mode provides energy savings and an on-screen ECO meter. Use the receiver in power-saving mode to reduce maximum output power or adopt low-power strategies across settings. Either way, the sound quality that defines Marantz excellence remains unchanged.
Our Take On The Marantz NR1200 Receiver
The answer to a question no one is asking? Definitely not! Maybe people don’t know to ask and think their options are between a soundbar and a full blown surround sound system. Of course, those are both fine options if that’s what will suit you best. But, believe us, there is not a soundbar on the planet that can compete, sound wise, with a well-engineered stereo amplifier and a nice pair of speakers. Just ask anybody who has been into Audio Trends and heard the Sonos Amp hooked up to a set of entry level Paradigm bookshelf speakers compared to the Sonos Arc soundbar. Both options are around $1,400 (without subwoofer) and, if you’re buying with your ears, there is just no contest – the amp and speakers sound so much better it’s not just a points decision it’s a thumping TKO!
Which brings us to the product at hand, the Marantz NR1200. In a very neat and attractive chassis it houses enough power, connectivity and operational smarts to do almost everything you imagine a 21st century streaming amplifier should be able to do and then some. It will do old school stuff like accept a turntable plugged directly in or other legacy stereo components like a CD player or tape deck. But then it gets seriously contemporary on you and lets you stream all your music however you want to hear it, via AirPlay, Bluetooth & HEOS with either your local digital files or direct from the internet without batting an eyelid. And let’s not forget DAB+ & FM radio along with the delights of internet radio. And then the icing on the cake, connect it to your TV and any other AV products like a Blu-ray player or Apple TV box and revel in all the AV streaming services we have all come to expect. All that remains is choosing a set of speakers to suit your room and you’re basically good to go. Or should that be ‘great to go’. Experience the Marantz NR1200 stereo AV receiver today.
Main Features & Specifications
- Design: Slimline Stereo Network Receiver
- Power Output: 75 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven
- 100 watts per channel into 6 ohms with 2 channels driven
- 135 watts per channel into 6 ohms with 1 channel driven
Digital & Streaming
- Wi-Fi: Built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- HEOS: Built-in HEOS technology wirelessly connects compatible HEOS components for whole home audio
- Includes support for Deezer, Tidal and Spotify (subscription required for some services)
- Free HEOS app offers easy Wi-Fi control, settings adjustments, and music selection and playback
- Works with Amazon Alexa and Google Home voice control assistants
- Apple AirPlay 2: Lets you stream directly from an iPhone or iPad and ask Siri to play Apple Music
- Supports multi-room audio with compatible wireless speakers
- Bluetooth: Built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- Hi-Res: Plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 5.6 MHz)
- Roon Tested: Yes
- Line-level stereo audio output for 2nd room
- Zone 2 not compatible with HDMI, optical digital, or coaxial digital inputs
- HDMI: 2.0b audio/video switching: 5 in, 1 out
- HDCP 2.3 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs
- Supports HDR10 and HLG high dynamic range formats
- Supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) for passing audio signals to the receiver from your TV
- Dolby Digital and DTS surround not supported, TV must be set to output 2-channel PCM
- Digital Audio Inputs: 1 optical and 1 coaxial
- Line Level Inputs: 3 analogue stereo audio inputs
- Preamp Output: Connect to an external stereo power amp
- Phono Input: MM (moving magnet) phono input for connecting a turntable
- Front-panel USB Port: Allows audio playback from USB flash drives
- Speaker Outputs: A and B speaker outputs
- Speaker Wire Terminals: 5 Way speaker binding posts for use with bare wire or banana plugs
- Subwoofer Outputs: Preamp outputs for two powered subwoofers
- Ethernet Port: For hard-wired network connection
- IR input: Use with external controllers
- Headphone Jack: 6.35mm (1/4") headphone output
- Detachable Power Cable: Standard IEC connection – easy upgrade to an IsoTek power cable here
- Pass-Through: 4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
- Free Marantz Remote App: Lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote
- Setup Guides: Setup Assistant guides you through the initial connection process and settings
- OSG: Intuitive, full-colour on-screen guide
- Video Select: Lets you listen to music while watching video from a different source
- HDMI Standby Pass-Through: Allows HDMI switching without powering up the receiver
- Sleep Timer: Yes
- DAB+/FM tuner: Radio reception is dependant on several factors including specifically the distance from the transmitter and antenna quality
- System Remote Control: RC041SR
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 440 x 105 x 367mm (175mm high with Wi-Fi antennas raised)
- Net Weight: 7.9kg
- Manufacturer’s Warranty: 2 years (3 Years if registered online)
Note: Features & Specifications Subject To Change Without Notice. E&OE