Cambridge AXA35 Amplifier; Acoustic Energy 100 Speakers (Black)
The Cambridge AXA35 stereo amplifier is the type of amplifier that delivers consistently good sound. Enough power to shake your room but coupled with the Acoustic Energy AE100's delivers a true gentlemanly sound.
Includes Cambridge AXC25 CD Player & ALL Cables
Choosing a new stereo system can be tricky. However, back in 1980 when Audio Trends was born, this is all we did! Of course the audio scene has grown significantly since then, but we still sell a lot of straight stereo gear. Our systems are all based on a simple philosophy. (1) Do they sound good; (2) are they good quality and (3) are they good value for money? We invite you to check out our various system combinations; come in for a demo or call our friendly and experienced staff to discuss more.
About Cambridge AXA35 Amplifier; Acoustic Energy 100 Speakers
Cambridge are known for their beautiful Hi-Fi components and there is no exception with the AX Series which pairs high quality with outstanding value for money and is the perfect way for the Hi-Fi curious to build their first stacking separates system. Taking design cues from Cambridge's award-winning Edge and CX ranges, Cambridge have designed the AX Series components to be a straightforward introduction to Great British Sound. To maintain the British flavour, we've teamed up with the Cambridge AXA-35 stereo amplifier and AXC-25 CD Player with a pair of Acoustic Energy AE-100 speakers and QED 79 Strand cable which both it and the Deltron banana plugs is actually made in England!
Cambridge Amplifier and CD Player
The Cambridge Audio AXA35 stereo amplifier forms the heart of this mid level system and delivers performance at a level way above its price point. With 35 Watts per channel output, its design elements including an oversize toroidal transformer that makes sure the amp has ample welly to get your speakers boogieing like they should. The speaker connections are substantial binding posts so thicker gauge wire can be accommodated. There are four separate stereo line level connections plus a phono (turntable) input on the rear for connecting the CD player and other components, as well as a convenient 3.5mm input on the front panel for smartphones. A full size headphone socket provides the sonic goods while tone controls help tailor the sound to your liking. With a white display screen, this sleek looking amplifier is housed in a substantial chassis which sports a stylish thick grey brushed aluminium front panel which looks great in any interior.
Let's face it, you've probably got 100's or even 1000's of CDs! These still offer a high level of performance and way above MP3 - the basic standard on streaming services. The AXC25 naturally has all the essentials a good disc player needs. The Cambridge AXC25 is a super-cool and versatile CD player with gapless playback and featuring a high quality digital to analogue converter (DAC), to convert the digital information stored on a CD into an analogue sound signal. As well as regular audio CDs, the AXC25 will play MP3 and WMA files from home recorded CD-R, CD-RW and CD-ROM discs. There's also a dedicated digital output which allows you to record from a CD to a digital format or even connect to a standalone DAC when you're ready to improve your sound even further. With a multi-function display screen, this sleek looking CD Player is housed in a substantial chassis which sports a stylish thick grey front panel which looks great in any interior.
Acoustic Energy Speakers
The Acoustic Energy AE-100 has been designed with a view to achieving high sound pressure levels from an extremely small enclosure. This is obtained principally through the use of a 101mm (4") driver built around an ultra-high force motor system that allows for an extremely long throw under complete control... in the best traditions of Acoustic Energy.
Rear Port: This is augmented by a slot shaped bass duct which allows for a considerable cross sectional area while negating the issues of the air becoming audible as it moves through the duct. A 25mm (1") soft dome tweeter featuring Acoustic Energy’s Wide Dispersion Technology completes the driver compliment. The cabinet is made from 18mm thick sections of MDF. Taking design cues from the award winning Reference Series and finished in a choice of satin black or walnut vinyl veneer finishes, the AE-100 is sure to look good wherever you choose to place it while delivering a sound that belies its compact size.
Sub $600 standmount speakers are very well represented here at Audio Trends. Well established British brands such as Wharfedale & Q-Acoustics have solid contenders available at this price point so what can the AE-100 possibly bring to the table? As it happens the AE-100 has a unique and seductive tonality that is markedly different from most and will appeal to people who love a sweet treble character. Where so many speakers exhibit elevated high frequencies which are guaranteed to wear the listener down over time the AE-100 offers an unusually mature and refined character that is reminiscent of much more expensive BBC type speakers. This is a very gentlemanly loudspeaker but it can also go properly loud way beyond its physical stature when pushed with an appropriate amplifier like the Cambridge AXA-35 stereo amplifier. A genuine contender and a store favourite at the price point.
Review Comment: “For a beer budget speaker the Acoustic Energy AE-100 is a highly entertaining piece of kit, it offers impressive volume levels for the money if you have a decent amp and delivers decent timing. In truth you can’t ask for much more at the price.” The Ear
Pre-Terminated Speaker Cable Included: Yes, this system is truly complete. The QED brand has been sold world-wide for over 40 years. In fact they started around about the same time we did. Audio Trends has probably sold enough 79 strand cable to go to the moon and back - well it seems that way! It is a really good quality cable with fairly neutral sound character and at a reasonable price. To make it easy to connect to the amplifier and speakers, our service department solders Deltron banana plugs to all ends making the system truly plug-n-play
Main Features & Specifications
- Design: Complete System including stereo amplifier; CD player; speakers and cables
- Amplifier: Cambridge Audio AXA-35
- Power Output: 2 x 35 Watts (into 8 Ohms)
- Frequency response (-3dB): 5Hz - 50kHz
- Bass/Treble controls: Boost/cut +/- 10dB @ 100Hz and 10kHz
- Phono Input: Yes. Accepts MM (Moving Magnet) Cartridge
- Line-Level Inputs: 4 x stereo pair RCA
- Line-Level Outputs: 1 x stereo pair RCA - can be used for subwoofer
- Rear USB: For products like Google Chromecast
- Headphone Jack: Full size 6.35mm
- Speaker Connections: Accept bare wire or banana plugs (recommended)
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 430 x 83 x 335mm
- CD Player: Cambridge Audio AXC25 single disc CD player
- Files: Support for CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM discs & MP3 and WMA files
- DAC: Wolfson Microelectronics WM8524 DAC
- S/PDIF Output Impedance: <75 ohms
- Gapless Playback: Yes
- Frequency Response (+/-0.4dB): 20Hz - 20kHz
- Cables: Includes a pair of RCA Cables to connect to the amplifier
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 430 x 75 x 305mm
- Speaker: Acoustic Energy AE-100 standmount - can also be located on bookshelves; sideboard or wall brackets
- Design: Compact 2-way; 2-driver
- Enclosure Type: Bass reflex
- Rear Port: The rear slot porting enhances smooth bass extension with minimal room impact, allowing easy placement.
- Frequency Range: 45Hz to 35kHz ±3dB
- Maximum Power Handling: 75 Watts RMS - must be 'clean' power
- Bass/Mid Driver: 101mm (4")
- Cones: Paper
- Tweeter: 25mm (1")
- Neodymium magnet for high power and ultimate control
- Crossover: Polypropylene Capacitors
- Crossover Frequency: 3.6kHz.
- Nominal Impedance: 4 Ohms
- Sensitivity: 87dB
- Peak SPL: 110dB
- Cabinets: Sturdy 18mm MDF enclosures with carefully tuned bracing.
- Grille Covers: The AE-100's come supplied with slim magnetic grilles.
- Speaker Terminals: Will accept bare wire or banana plugs.
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 160 x 270 x 240 mm each
- Finish/Colour: Satin Black or imitation Walnut
- Net Weight: 4.0Kg each
- Speaker Cable: 2 x 3 metre QED 79 Strand speaker cable
- Banana Plugs: All speaker cable ends will be terminated with high-quality Deltron UK banana plugs
- Delivery: Free Delivery
- Manufacturer's Warranty: Cambridge Components 2 Years; Acoustic Energy Speakers 5 Years - not including misuse.
Note: Features & Specifications Subject To Change Without Notice. E&OE