NAD C399 BluOS 2 Amplifier DAC
Why Are So Many Items Out Of Stock? A worldwide microchip shortage and other pandemic-related challenges have slowed the supply of products in many industries. We are working with all our brands to replenish stock and fill backorders asap. The ETA listed is currently the best advice we have and may be subject to change as we receive updates. Thank you for your patience and for shopping at Audio Trends.
Top Model 180 Watt Amplifier/DAC
NAD Master Series Hybrid Digital nCore Amplifier, Jitter-free 32-bit/384kHz ESS Sabre 9028 DAC
Two-Way aptX HD Bluetooth, Headphone Amp, Phono Input
BluOS 2 Multi-Room Music Streaming Via BluOS app
Stock Due Late June 2022
About The NAD C399 BluOS 2 Amplifier, DAC
This is the BluOS streaming enabled version of the new flagship of NAD’s Classic series of integrated amps. The C399 HybridDigital DAC Amplifier takes NAD’s commitment to lasting value and sonic excellence to a whole new level.
The C399 employs NAD’s Hypex HybridDigital nCore amplifier circuitry, which until now has been available only on Masters Series amplifiers. Its digital section is built around a 32-bit/384kHz ESS Sabre DAC, the same chip used in NAD’s acclaimed M10 and M33 Masters Series amplifiers.
The NAD C399 is the first amplifier to incorporate the latest generation of NAD’s Modular Design Construction (MDC) technology. MDC2 is how the BluOS multi-room music streaming module is incorporated into the C399 amplifier.
Pure Power: Trickled down from NAD’s Masters Series, the C 399’s HybridDigital nCore amplifier is highly efficient and remarkably powerful. It can deliver 180 Watts per channel continuous power, and 250 Watts per channel instantaneous power, allowing the C 399 to reproduce musical transients effortlessly. The HybridDigital nCore design is renowned for its wide bandwidth, flat frequency response, clean clipping behaviour with instant recovery, high current capability, and stability into demanding low-impedance speaker loads. Noise and distortion are vanishingly low under all operating conditions. The minute levels of harmonic distortion are dominated by sonically benign second and third harmonics.
These refinements enable the C 399 to produce neutral, distortion-free sound even at very high listening levels, with thrilling dynamics, exquisite detail, and superb portrayal of space. Also trickled down from the Masters Series is the ESS Sabre 9028 high-resolution DAC, a design noted for its wide dynamic range, ultra-low noise and distortion, and near-zero levels of clock jitter. This premium DAC enables the C 399 to reproduce all your digital sources with amazing musicality, precise soundstaging, and stunning clarity
Future Perfect: In 2006, NAD introduced Modular Design Construction, an innovative architecture for adding new functions to existing components. Many NAD products have rear-panel slots for MDC modules that perform HDMI switching, BluOS multi-room music streaming, Dolby Atmos surround processing, and other functions.
The C 399 is the first product to feature NAD’s new MDC2 architecture. By enabling two-way communications between the module and component, MDC2 opens the future for new upgrades. In a nutshell, MDC2 helps protect your investment from premature obsolescence whilst adding desirable features.
Equipped with Wi-Fi and Ethernet, the included MDC2 BluOS-D module lets listeners play music from their favourite streaming services through the C 399, using the acclaimed BluOS Controller app for Android, iOS, MacOS, and Windows. Like all BluOS-enabled products, the MDC2 BluOS-D module supports the new standard for Hi Res streaming, Master Quality Authenticated (MQA), and has integrated support for dozens of streaming services; including Tidal, Deezer, Qobuz, Amazon Music HD and Spotify. Two-way communications also enable the MDC2 BluOS-D to stream music from local sources connected to the C 399 to BluOS-capable components in other rooms.
The Dirac Live* function lets you measure your room’s acoustics using a supplied microphone and intuitive app, and then upload correction curves to the MDC2 BluOS-D module. By compensating for acoustic anomalies in your listening environment, Dirac Live dramatically improves bass clarity, imaging, and timbral accuracy. Thanks to its two-way architecture, the MDC2 BluOS-D performs Dirac Live room correction for all sources connected to your C 399. * The MDC2 BluOS-D module will include a license for Dirac Live with the option for advanced users to upgrade to a Dirac Live Full Frequency version.
Well Connected: The C 399 can accommodate all your digital and analogue sources. Analogue fans are well served with two pairs of RCA line-level inputs, plus a MM phono stage with ultra-precise RIAA equalization, extremely low noise, and high overload margins. The phono preamp also features an innovative circuit that suppresses the infrasonic noise present on all LPs, without compromising bass response. The line inputs have low noise buffer amplifiers to prevent sonic degradation. The C 399 has two optical and two coaxial digital inputs, plus an HDMI eARC port for playing audio from a connected TV, while controlling amplifier output with the TV’s remote control.
In addition to two sets of speaker outputs, the C 399 has preamp output jacks and dual subwoofer outputs. Two-way aptX HD Bluetooth allows 24-bit streaming from mobile devices, and high-quality output to Bluetooth headphones. Also built-in is a dedicated headphone amplifier with low output impedance and high output voltage capability, enabling the C 399 to drive demanding high-impedance studio monitor headphones.
A Timeless Classic: Ever since the launch of the legendary 3020 integrated amplifier in 1978, the NAD brand has been synonymous with value and performance. The C 399 takes that reputation to a whole new level.
As with every NAD amplifier, the C 399 gets the basics right: a precise volume control with accurate channel balance, low-noise circuits, and correct input and output impedances. With its HybridDigital nCore output stage and high-resolution ESS Sabre DAC, the C 399 can reproduce all your digital and analogue sources with a level of excitement and refinement that is unprecedented for a Classic-Series integrated amplifier.
Thanks to NAD’s innovative MDC2 platform, the C 399 will keep pace with future developments. The C 399 can serve as the hub of a world-class music system today, and for years to come. With NAD’s C 399 HybridDigital DAC Amplifier, the legend continues.
Founded in 1972, NAD’s gregarious Managing Director, Marty Borish started to collaborate with the company’s quiet genius of an audio engineer, Bjorn Erik Edvardsen and the NAD magic began to percolate. Soon this creative team saw a space in the market for a new category of affordable, high-quality electronics, and their work eventually culminated in the ultimate reward for the engineers and the brand – the distinction of creating the best-selling hi-fi amplifier in history, the NAD 3020. This was a turning point for NAD, a point when both Edvardsen and the NAD brand developed a cult-like following that has remained loyal to NAD products and solutions ever since.
The success of the 3020 was followed by other successes and industry firsts. The 6100 cassette deck was the world’s first Dolby C player, which continued the brand’s performance and value mantra. The NAD 5200 became one of the world’s first early premium CD players. The M2 redefined the digital amplification category, smashing the preconceptions of many audiophiles that digital amplification couldn’t deliver high performance sound. These products were all underpinned by remarkable technologies developed by NAD’s labs, sometimes in collaboration with outside technology partners.
Today, NAD’s development team is Canadian based and are driven by the passionate belief that true-to-source sound should be accessible to everyone. The meticulous and persistent approach with which they pursue their goal means that NAD owners can take comfort in the knowledge that every product NAD build sounds significantly better than any before it. In fact, they won’t release a product that achieves anything less.
Our Take On NAD C399 BluOS 2 Amplifier, DAC
The C399 BS streaming amplifier is the ultimate expression of a NAD Classic amplifier. In essence it’s a Master series amplifier in a Classic series skin. In fact it borrows its HybridDigital nCore amplifier stage and high-resolution ESS Sabre DAC directly from the Master series - the first time these revered technologies have trickled down to the Classic series. Yes, this one has all the good stuff and doesn’t skimp on facilities or performance. And, with the BluOS streaming module included it is ready & willing for whatever streaming adventures you have in mind and then some. In fact, for the price, the C399 is very hard to beat and the fact it can be teamed with almost any speaker in almost any size room means its versatility rating is off the charts.
Main Features & Specifications
- Design: Stereo Streaming Amplifier & DAC
- Hybrid Digital nCore Amplifier from the NAD Master series
- Continuous Power: 180 Watts per channel into 8/4 ohms
- Instantaneous Power: 250 Watts per channel
- IHF Dynamic Power
- 8 Ohms: 217 Watts
- 4 Ohms: 400 Watts
- 2 Ohms: 506.4 Watts
- Vanishingly low harmonic and intermodulation distortion
- Dual MDC2 Ports for expanded functionality
- Included MDC2 BluOS-D module adds BluOS multi-room streaming and Dirac Live room correction (Calibrated microphone included for Dirac setup)
- BluOS Music Streaming to up to 63 zones
- Jitter-free 32-bit/384kHz ESS Sabre DAC
- Ultra-low-noise MM phono stage with infrasonic filtering circuitry
- Two Optical Digital inputs
- Two Coaxial Digital inputs
- HDMI-eARC input
- Two pairs of line-level analogue inputs with low-noise buffer amplifiers
- Speaker A/Speaker B outputs
- Two-way aptX-HD Bluetooth
- Dual subwoofer outputs
- Stereo Preamp outputs
- Dedicated headphone amplifier
- USB A Input
- Custom Install Friendly IR Remote Control
- 12V Trigger in/out
- IR in/out
- RS-232 Serial port for control integration with home automation systems
- Seamless integrations with smart home control systems such as Control4, Crestron, RTI, URC, Push, Lutron, iPort, and Elan
- Supported Operating Systems: Plays music from network shares on the following desktop operating systems: Microsoft Windows XP, 2000, Vista, 7, 8 to current Windows Operating Systems and Mac OS X versions
- User Interface Mobile Operating System: BluOS - Free Android and iOS App available online at Google Play and Apple App store
- Supported Cloud Services: Amazon Alexa, Amazon Music, Spotify, TIDAL, Deezer, Qobuz, HDTracks (subject to availability)
- Free Internet Radio: TuneIn Radio, iHeartRadio, Calm Radio, Radio Paradise (subject to availability)
- MQA decoding & rendering
- Apple AirPlay 2 and Siri voice control
- Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice control
- Spotify Connect and Tidal Connect
- Bluetooth Quality: Bluetooth aptX HD built-in
- Bluetooth Connectivity: Two-Way (Receive and Headphone modes)
- Network Connectivity: Gigabit Ethernet RJ45, Wi-Fi 5
- Supported Audio File Formats: MP3, AAC (M4A, MP4), WMA, OGG, FLAC, ALAC (M4A), WMA-L, MQA, WAV and AIFF (AIF, AIFC)
- Hi-Resolution Audio Formats: MQA, FLAC, WAV, AIFF
- Sampling Rate: up to 192kHz PCM
- Bit Depths: 16 – 24
- Finish/Colour: Grey
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 435 x 120 x 390mm
- Weight: 11.2kg
- Manufacturer’s Warranty: 2 Years
Note: Features & Specifications Subject To Change Without Notice. E&OE.
- Rega Planar 6 TurntablePriced from $2,399.00
- Naim Uniti Nova Stereo Amplifier/StreamerSpecial Price $8,500.00 (Normally Regular Price $10,500.00 )
- Focal Aria 948 Floorstanding SpeakersPriced from $7,600.00 (Normally Regular Price $7,900.00 )
- Klipsch Heritage Heresy IV SpeakersPriced from $7,698.00