Cambridge Audio AXR85 Stereo Receiver (Grey)
The Cambridge Audio AXR85 Stereo Receiver features a powerful amplifier combined with good connectivity including Phono input for a turntable, AM/FM radio and Bluetooth for streaming from a phone or tablet. Save on space and build on convenience and style, with the Cambridge Audio AXR85 stereo receiver.
About Cambridge Audio AXR85 Stereo Receiver
We've always loved Cambridge Audio, even when they were just a unique, boutique brand back in the 1970's and 80's. When Sir Julian Richer took over the brand some 30 years ago, he went about building a brand that is now easily competing and even surpassing some of the well-known names you'll see on the Audio Trends website! The AXR85 Stereo Receiver is in that league and has very few real competitors. Packing a powerful amp with Bluetooth connectivity and a quality AM/FM radio, the Cambridge Audio AXR85 is your one-stop solution to all-inclusive stereo playback. Please read on.
Punchy Performer With Two Sets Of Speaker Outputs: Packing a hefty 85 watts per channel, the AXR85 has enough grunt to fill larger rooms with clean, effortless sound. Twin speaker outlets mean you can have a pair of speakers in another room or spread four speakers around a large, open-plan space.
Your Whole System Connected – Including A Turntable: Featuring a built-in phono input for a turntable with a MM (moving magnet) or high-output MC (moving coil) cartridge, the AXR85 is a top-performing amp for a vinyl based system. The Ground terminals on both the AXR85 stereo receiver and your turntable should be connected (where possible) with a ground wire for lowest noise/hum pickup. It doesn’t end here.
Line-Level RCA Inputs: The AXR85 stereo receiver is outfitted with three line-level analogue RCA outputs for connection of external audio source devices - such as a CD player, tape-deck, games console or music streamer (all sold separately). There’s also a 3.5mm AUX input at the front that’s handy for temporary connections – such as an MP3 player or smartphone. For more bass, you can add your choice of active subwoofer via the dedicated output.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Cambridge Audio AXR85 features built-in Bluetooth 5.0 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP) and control (AVRCP). You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth-enabled source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer) to the AXR85 stereo receiver. You'll also be able to control basic playback functions, such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track from the included remote. Advanced music navigation and song/artist information will still be done from your Bluetooth source device. The receiver can pair with up to 8 devices, but only one can be used for playback at a time. The unit will automatically connect with the last paired device when in wireless range (up to 10 metres.
Tune In: Covering all the bases, the Cambridge Audio AXR85 also features a built-in FM/AM radio. With 30 presets, you can quickly call up all your favourite stations. The RDS (Radio Data System) FM tuner displays the radio name and gives other display information.
Note: The quality of AM (Amplitude Modulation) reception varies on your location; time-of-day; weather; station output and distance from the AM transmitter. FM (Frequency Modulation) typically has a range of 80km and is affected by hills and large buildings. An external or dedicated antenna will be required if you experience poor sound. The product is not deemed 'faulty' if you experience poor reception due to any of the above scenarios. And, the better or more costly the Receiver, the more the pronounced the problem can be. If radio, particularly AM Radio, is important to you, then consider connecting an optional AM antenna (Click here for PK AM Antenna Website for details) to achieve better AM reception, or buy a Network Receiver where you can enjoy over 100,000 stations (inc AM & FM) via the Internet. FM reception can be improved if you connect it to a TV antenna with FM capability.
Sleek New Style: The entire Cambridge AX Series has a fresh new look that catches the eye. The Lunar Grey front panel contrasts with the black top and sides, making it ‘pop’ into crisp focus. The cool white display and logical layout give a timeless style that’s typical of the Cambridge Audio brand. The teardrop profile with wedge foot mirrors the CX Series, showing a strong family link between ranges.
Binding Post A/B Speaker Terminals: The Cambridge Audio AXR85 is equipped with a A & B speaker terminals for connecting up to two pair of loudspeakers or bi-wiring a single pair of loudspeakers. These binding post terminals will accept bare wire or banana plugs. The small plastic cap inserts need to be removed from the binding post terminals in order to use banana plugs. Can be tricky so raid your good lady's sewing box for a suitable needle! When connecting a single pair of speakers you can use 4 Ohm to 8 Ohm compatible speakers. When connecting two pair of loudspeakers or when bi-wiring a single pair of loudspeaker use only 8 Ohm compatible speakers. This is critical!
Simple Control: The Cambridge Audio stereo receiver offers front-panel controls for simple, convenient operation. The included IR remote provides wireless operation of the stereo receiver.
- Volume/Mute: A front-panel rotary knob or push-buttons on the remote control the volume level of the receiver's speaker outputs, subwoofer output, and headphone output. There is also a Mute function on the remote control.
- Tone & Balance: You'll be able to adjust Bass (100Hz) & Treble (20kHz) from -10 to +10dB, as well as adjust the balance in sound output between the connected left and right speakers.
Front-Panel Display: The front-panel display indicates selected input source, station identification, and menu selections; as well as volume and tone levels.
Main Features & Specifications
- Design: Stereo AM/FM Receiver with Phono Input & Bluetooth
- Power Output: 2 x 85 Watts (into 8Ω)
- 4 Ohm capability allows use with a wide range of speakers
- Front Panel A/B speaker switching for two pairs of speakers
- 3 x RCA Line Level Inputs
- 1 x MM (Moving Magnet) Phono Input for Turntables
- 1 x Front Panel 3.5mm Stereo Aux Input
- Bluetooth: For streaming from a smart phone, tablet or computer
- Bluetooth Compatibility: 5.0 A2DP/AVRCP supporting SBC
- Stereo RCA Record Output
- Mono RCA Subwoofer Output
- Front Panel Full Size 6.35mm Headphone Socket
- Two Pair Binding Post Speaker Connectors. These accept bare wire or banana plugs
- Amplifier Section
- THD (Unweighted): <0.01% @ 1kHz, 80% of rated power <0.15% 20Hz - 20kHz, 80% of rated power
- Frequency Response (-1DB): 5Hz - 50kHz
- S/N Ratio (REF 1W): >82dB (unweighted)
- Input Impedances: 47k ohms
- Power Amp Damping Factor: >50
- Standby Power Consumption: <0.5 Watt
- Max. Power Consumption: 500 Watts
- Bass/Treble Controls: Shelving, ultimate boost/cut +/- 10dB @ 100Hz and 20kHz
- Subwoofer Output: 200Hz 2nd order L+R Level follows volume setting
- Tuner Section
- Tuner Bands: AM (522-1629kHz) FM (87.5-108MHz) - Radio reception quality depends on the antenna you use and distance from transmitter
- Aerial Inputs: FM 75 ohms, Coaxial. AM 300 ohms wire loop/ single wire
- Signal To Noise (Tuner): 60dB typical (FM)
- Distortion (Tuner): <0.4% @ 1kHz 50kHz deviation (FM mono) <0.6% @ 1kHz 50kHz deviation (FM stereo)
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 430 x 110 x 340mm
- Weight: 8.1kg
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 2 years
Note: Features & Specifications Subject To Change Without Notice. E&OE.