For everyone at Denon, Passion, Artistry, and Technology are more than buzzwords – they are part of the quintessential philosophy behind everything they do. These three elements and decades of innovation and engineering excellence have shaped their entire culture. Every detail of a Denon product is crafted around these elements with a single goal in mind: to maximise the entertainment experience. It is worthy of note that Denon is distributed in Australia by Sound United who are the international owners of the brand so after-sales-service is readily available if required.
Denon AVC-X3700H 8K Home Theatre Amplifier
11.2 Channel Processing & Dolby Atmos Height Virtualisation
9 Channels Of Amplification, Bluetooth Receiver & Transmitter
8K Support, 105 Watts Per Channel, eARC HDMI
Voice Control, HEOS Multi-Room Music Streaming
About Denon AVC-X3700H 8K Home Theatre Amplifier
Technology marches on and, despite the sad state of the world’s health at the start of the new decade, the state of the AV world’s technology is looking mighty impressive. The resilience of the human race knows no bounds and we take our hat off to all the engineers and designers and manufacturing people who have worked so hard to make this great home theatre receiver a reality.
There are quite a number of improvements that the AVC-X3700H brings to market that keep it at the front of the pack. These new features are fleshed out in the text below but here is a summary of the main changes.
The first thing the eagle eyed amongst you may have spotted is that the model has changed from an AVR to an AVC designation. This means there is actually no terrestrial radio on board such as AM/FM or even DAB+ Radio. These days, internet radio is the way to go, offering all your local Australian stations but opening up the whole world of international radio so you can browse whatever country or style of music takes your fancy.
There is now support for Dolby Atmos height virtualisation which means you don’t need actual height speakers to experience height sound which is pretty cool. DTS:X now supports up to 7.1.4 channel surround sound. New standards supported are HDR10+, Dynamic HDR, QMS, VRR & QFT – see more details below. The AVC-X3700 has video signal passthrough and upscaling up to 8K & Bluetooth headphone transmission – very convenient. HDCP 2.3 makes an appearance, there are 6 analogue line level inputs, up from 5, and Bluetooth has been upgraded from version 3.0 to 4.2.
A Closer Look At The 'X3700H
The Denon AVC-X3700H delivers the ultimate home theatre experience with 8K/60Hz pass-through and upscaling, 4K/120Hz pass-through, as well as support for the latest HDMI specifications. The AVC-X3700H lets you build the best 4K home theatre today and gives you the comfort of knowing that your AV receiver is 8K ready when you are. Enjoy the highest quality 3D audio and video for even the most demanding entertainment needs.
Powerful 9-Channel Amplifier with the Latest Home Cinema Specs: Featuring discrete, high-current amplifiers on all channels, the AVC-X3700H delivers high-power performance of up to 180 Watts (peak) per channel. Low impedance drivers provide operational stability for a wide range of speakers for balanced, tonal sound. Upgrade your expectations in home theatre entertainment.
Full 3D Audio Support: Immerse yourself in 3D audio with Dolby Atmos, Dolby Atmos Height Virtualisation Technology, DTS:X, DTS Virtual:X, IMAX Enhanced and Auro-3D. Set up a 5.1.2 or 7.1.2 Dolby Atmos surround system using Dolby Atmos elevation speakers, or dedicated overhead speakers, for the ultimate home theatre experience. DTS:X gives your movies, games and music a realism unmatched by traditional 5.1 surround sound. Dolby Atmos Height Virtualisation Technology and DTS Virtual:X provide immersive audio without height channels, creating virtual height effects in a 7.1, 5.1 or 2.1 speaker arrangement.
Advanced 8K HDMI Video Section: Enjoy your favourite movies, shows and games with the best picture quality available. The AVC-X3700H features an advanced HDMI section (7 in/3 out) with a dedicated 8K input that will support 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz video pass-through. All HDMI inputs feature 4:4:4 Pure Colour sub sampling, HDR10+, Dolby Vision, Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG), and BT.2020 pass-through support for exceptional colour, clarity and contrast. Enjoy 8K upscaling as well as HDCP 2.3 processing to play copy-protected content uninhibited.
Brilliant Colour – Universal Compatibility, HDR10+, Dynamic HDR: The AVC-X3700H supports High Dynamic Range video formats, HDR10+, Dolby Vision and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma). Dolby Vision transforms the viewing experiences with astonishing brightness, contrast, and colour. HLG offers HDR technology over broadcast content for a crisper, cleaner image.
Enhanced Audio Return Channel (eARC) Support: The main output of the AVC-X3700H supports eARC (enhanced Audio Return Channel) to enable uncompressed and object-based audio transmission directly from your smart TV apps to your AV receiver.
The Latest Technology in Movie Experiences: With the AVC-X3700H, enjoy all your entertainment with the latest technology available and watch your movies in unrivalled clarity. Enjoy your movies in 8K with 8K/60Hz pass-through and upscaling, as well the latest in AV receiver technology like Dynamic HDR and Quick Media Switching (QMS), which is used in movies to eliminate video delay.
The Next Generation in Gaming: With the AVC-X3700H, take your gaming to the next level. Game with 4K/120Hz pass-through, as well as Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Quick Frame Transport (QFT), and Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), which reduces or eliminates lag and frame tearing to offer a smoother, lag-free gaming experience.
Pre-Amplifier Mode: With the new Pre-Amplifier Mode, your Denon AV receiver works as a perfect AV pre-processor with the latest HDMI connectivity. Pre-Amplifier Mode provides a cleaner signal path and more tolerance in clipping level by disconnecting internal amplifiers. Modernise your AV separate system without breaking the bank.
Works with Amazon Alexa: Control the AVC-X3700H hands-free with Amazon Alexa and your voice. Adjust the volume, skip to the next track, switch inputs for your different media players and more — “Just Ask.” Download the HEOS Home Entertainment Skill to enable Amazon Alexa voice commands for your AVC-X3700H, HEOS devices and other select Denon products. Requires Alexa app and Amazon Echo, Dot or equivalent.
Works with Google Assistant: Start music in the HEOS app, then ask your Google Assistant to control volume, play, pause, skip tracks and more.
Built-in AirPlay 2, Bluetooth & Wi-Fi Capability: With Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and AirPlay 2 wireless streaming connectivity, the AVC-X3700H is equipped with an advanced dual antenna transceiver system for robust streaming even in congested urban environments. Enjoy listening to your favourite music sources wirelessly from your smart devices. Also, enjoy Apple music through AirPlay 2.
HEOS Built-in Multi-Room Streaming: Enjoy your favourite music in any room of your home wirelessly with HEOS Built-in technology. Play the same song in every room or select a different song for each connected room — the choice is yours. Also works with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple Siri to provide cutting-edge voice control and incredible sound for all your home entertainment. Connect your Denon Home speakers for a whole-home audio experience.
High-Resolution Audio Support: Enjoy superb audio fidelity with your favourite high-resolution audio tracks. The AVC-X3700H features the latest AKM 32-bit D/A converters allowing for high resolution audio decoding with multiple lossless file types, including ALAC, FLAC and WAV at up to 192kHz/24bit. It is also compatible with 2.8/5.6-MHz DSD files (DSD is the audio coding format of SACD). Play them from memory devices via the front panel USB, or over network sources. The AVC-X3700H also supports other file types such as MP3 and WMA.
Bluetooth Audio Transmission: Enjoy your favourite audio without waking your whole home by transmitting the audio coming from your AV receiver to your Bluetooth headphones. The AVC-X3700H even allows you to play the audio on both Bluetooth headphones and connected speakers simultaneously. If you have a family member or a friend who is hearing impaired, we recommend this setup.
Audyssey Room Correction: The AVC-X3700H features the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 room acoustic measurement system. With the supplied microphone, it precisely analyses the output of each speaker to optimise every channel. Plus, the additional Audyssey MultEQ Editor app (available for purchase) allows advanced users to go “under the hood” for further adjustment and customisation of your audio environment. The app is available for both iOS and Android.
“Roon Tested” Certified: All new Denon AV amplifiers are now Roon Tested. Get more out of your digital music library with searchable, surfable information about your favourite artists and songs. Find lyrics, concert dates, photos, bios, reviews and more. Subscription required.
Multi-Source, Multi-Room: With the Denon AVC-X3700H, it’s possible to enjoy 9.2 channel surround sound in one room and a separate source or music stream in another. Watch a movie in one room while another family member listens to music in a different zone without interruption. Make use of the internal amps to power the speakers or use the zone-pre-outs.
All Zone TV Audio: Play the audio from your TV to all zones. Enjoy fully discrete audio such as Dolby Atmos in the main zone for totally immersed experience while playing the same source in the second zone. Select “Source” for the second zone to share the main zone audio. The AVC-X3700H supports both HDMI and digital sources for your second zone.
Denon AVR Remote App For Seamless Control: The free Denon AVR Remote for iOS and Android makes using the AVC-X3700H even easier — adjust volume, turn it on or off, mute the music, select a source or switch to HEOS. Download the free Denon AVR Remote app to your smartphone or tablet for better control in your home.
Custom Install Ready: The Denon AVC-X3700H features external control and IP control capabilities for easy customisation and compatibility with third-party integration solutions. It offers IP control capability for major third-party control devices, as well as Control4 SDPP (Simple Device Detection Protocol) certification for seamless integration with Control4 home automation equipment. An IR (infrared) remote control is included on the rear panel for remote control compatibility with other components in your home theatre system, and remote monitoring capability is now supported for troubleshooting.
As Japan’s first audio electronics manufacturer and with a deep legacy of firsts, Denon is absolutely one of the longest audio company emanating from Japan. Founded in 1910, their aim has always been to enable the entertainment moments that matter through the relentless pursuit of quality, innovation and audio performance and Audio Trends teamed up with Denon way back in 1982. Even then, we had difficulties keeping up with demand because they just couldn't physically reproduce enough gear for the world market! How have they been so successful over decades and still are up with the best in mass-produced audio components when the market has become very crowded?
Innovative engineering and technology are at the core of what makes a Denon product so iconic. Through a disciplined approach to design and production, their Japanese based engineers ensure that only superb craftsmanship, precision engineering and impeccable performance go into every component. The creation of products that can deliver total quality enjoyment to others is a fundamental driving passion and the main reason why they exist. What’s more, their constant quest to create the perfect entertainment component is the key to transforming creative ideas into leading innovation, and to anticipating consumer needs. In recent times, this has included the development of mobile technologies, so that customers can enjoy the best possible quality reproduction in any format.
Our Take On The AVC-X3700H Surround Amplifier
It looks like the Denon AVC-X3700H will take over the mantle of its predecessor to become the go-to AV amplifier at its price point. It won the What Hi-Fi? 2020-2021 award for the best AV Amplifier £750 - £1500 (A$1500 - A$3000 approx). It really does give very little away to the heavy hitting AVC-X4700H and AVC-X6700H home theatre receivers and could represent the pick of the range. With enough features to satisfy almost all your tech needs and enough power to drive the majority of speakers, we can see the Denon AVC-X3700H finding itself taking up residence in a lot of happy homes around Australia and forming the basis of some incredible home theatre systems. Give us a call to see if it is the best for your needs.
Main Features & Specifications
- Product Description: Denon AVC-X3700H Audio/Video high-performance discrete 9.2-channel amplifier
- Power Output: 105 watts per channel into 8 Ohms (20-20kHz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Surround Decoding: Dolby and DTS surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping home theatre sound
- Dolby Atmos Height Virtualisation and DTS Virtual:X create three-dimensional effects without height speakers
- IMAX Enhanced: This feature reproduces the full dynamic range of specially encoded IMAX soundtracks from compatible sources
- Video Conversion: Analogue-to-HDMI video conversion
- Upscales: Take standard-definition video signals to HD and Ultra HD (up to 8K)
- Audyssey speaker calibration and system optimisation includes:
- MultEQ XT32 auto setup and room calibration delivers balanced, dynamic sound with enhanced surround performance
- Dynamic Volume anticipates loud sounds to keep volume levels even
- Dynamic EQ improves dialogue, bass response, and surround channel levels at lower volumes
- Sub EQ HT provides individual calibration for dual subwoofers, for even bass response throughout the room
- Low Frequency Containment reduces the amount of bass that bleeds into other rooms
- Audyssey MultEQ Editor app for further audio customisation (paid app; not included)
Digital And Music Streaming Options
- Wi-Fi: Built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- HEOS Built-in technology wirelessly connects compatible HEOS components for whole home audio
- Includes support Spotify and some other streaming services (subscription required for some services)
- Free HEOS app offers easy Wi-Fi control, settings adjustments, and music selection and playback
- Works with Amazon Alexa and Google Home voice control assistants
- Apple AirPlay 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone or iPad and ask Siri to play Apple Music;
- Supports multi-room audio with compatible wireless speakers
- Bluetooth: Built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- Bluetooth transmission for sending audio from the receiver to Bluetooth-enabled headphones
- Play audio through Bluetooth headphones only, or through Bluetooth headphones and connected speakers simultaneously
- Hi-Res Music Files: Plays high-resolution digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (PCM up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution; DSD up to 5.6 MHz)
- Denon's Compressed Audio Restorer improves sound quality of MP3s and other digital music files
- Dual-room/dual-source output
- Amp Assign function lets you use surround back speaker outputs for front height, Zone 2, Front B, or bi-amping front speakers
- Using powered 2nd-room output allows 7.2-channel sound in main room
- All Zone Stereo mode ensures that both zones stay in sync when playing the same source
- All Zone TV Audio lets you play surround sound in your main room and downmixed stereo in your 2nd room
- Supports both analogue and digital audio connections
- HDMI Dual-zone switching for watching video content from different sources in two zones simultaneously
- Zone 2 compatible audio sources: HDMI audio, optical/coaxial digital inputs, analog audio inputs, AM/FM tuner, USB, Bluetooth, and HEOS music apps
- HDMI 2.1 audio/video switching: 7 x HDMI inputs, 3 x HDMI outputs
- 1 input and 2 outputs support 8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz video
- all inputs and outputs support 4K/60Hz video
- HDCP 2.3 technology ensures compatibility with Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision and HLG
- Gaming-Optimised Video Processing: These technologies deliver a smooth, lag-free gaming experience
- Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM), and Quick Frame Transport (QFT) reduce or eliminate lag and frame tearing
- ARC: Supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) and eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel)
- eARC receives uncompressed surround sound signals including Dolby Atmos and DTS:X via the HDMI connection with your compatible TV
- Component video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- Composite video switching: 3 in, 1 out
- Digital Audio Inputs: 2 x Toslink optical, 2 x coaxial
- Line-Level Audio Inputs: 5 stereo pair (RCA type)
- Phono Input: MM (moving magnet) phono input for connecting a turntable
- Pre-Amplifier Outputs: 11.2-channel preamp outputs allow you to add extra power amplifiers (sold separately)
- Subwoofer: Two discrete line-level subwoofer outputs for more precise multi-subwoofer setups
- Front-Panel USB Port: Allows for audio playback from USB flash drives
- Ethernet port for network connection
- Speaker Terminals: Connections for 11 speakers (Front L/R, Centre, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R, Height1 L/R, Height2 L/R)
- please note that the amplifier can only power a maximum of 9 channels simultaneously
- Automation: RS-232C, remote (IR), and 12-volt trigger connections for use with optional third-party controller
- Headphone Jack: Full-sized headphone jack
- Power Cord: Standard IEC power cord can be upgraded to something better
- Free Denon AVR Remote app: Lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote
- Setup Assistant: This guides you through the initial connection process and settings
- HDMI Standby Pass-Through: Allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- On-Screen Guide: Intuitive, full-colour on-screen guide
- AM/FM Radio Tuner: No. Connect to the Internet via Wi-Fi to access local and international radio stations
- Remote Control: Yes
- Finish: Black
- Power Supply: 230 Volts / 50 Hz
- Power Consumption: 600 Watts (Standby 0.1 Watt, CEC standby 0.5 Watt)
- Power Consumption (No Sound): 45 Watts (ECO Mode On) 80 Watts (ECO Mode Off)
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 434 x 167 x 389mm (434 x 236 x 389mm with antenna vertically aligned)
- Net Weight: 12.5kg
- Shipping Weight: 15.1kg
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 2 Years (Please Note: Register online within 7 days of purchase and extend the warranty for free by 1 Year - just go to www.warranty.qualifi.com.au)
Note: Features & Specifications Subject To Change Without Notice. E&OE.