Cambridge AXR85 Receiver; Wharfedale Denton 85B Speakers
Please Note: This item is in stock and ready for despatch. Please note that it may not be on demonstration or available for immediate in-store collection.
Go back to the 1960's with a system your great grand-parents would have been head-over-heels to own!
Wharfedale Denton 85th Anniversary Edition Speakers.
Classic style combined with modern design components deliver refined British old school sound
About The Cambridge And Wharfedale Denton Stereo System
Choosing a new stereo system can be tricky. However, back in 1980 when Audio Trends was born, this is all we did! Of course the audio scene has grown significantly since then, but we still sell a lot of straight stereo gear. Our systems are all based on a simple philosophy. (1) Do they sound good; (2) are they good quality and (3) are they good value for money? We invite you to check out our various system combinations; come in for a demo or call our friendly and experienced staff to discuss more.
Cambridge are known for their beautiful Hi-Fi components and there is no exception with the AX Series which pairs high quality with outstanding value for money and is the perfect way for the Hi-Fi curious to build their first stacking separates system. Taking design cues from Cambridge's award-winning Edge and CX ranges, Cambridge have designed the AX Series components to be a straightforward introduction to Great British Sound. However, we've come back to the 'great southern land' - one of our favourite Icehouse songs - and teamed up the Cambridge AXR85 stereo receiver and AXC25 CD Player with a pair of Wharfedale Denton 85th Anniversary 2-way speakers and QED XT Silver Anniversary speaker cable with superb QED Airloc Forte 4mm banana plugs. Let's take a closer look.
Cambridge Receiver and CD Player
The Cambridge Audio AXR85 stereo receiver forms the heart of this mid level system and delivers performance way above its price point. With a very impressive 85 Watts per channel output, it has enough grunt to fill larger rooms with clean, effortless sound. Twin speaker outlets mean you can have a pair of speakers in another room or spread four speakers around a large, open-plan space. The speaker connections are substantial binding posts so thicker gauge wire can be accommodated. There are four separate stereo line level connections for connecting the CD player and any other components you own now or will maybe buy sometime in the future. There is also a dedicated phono input for a turntable, as well as a convenient 3.5mm input on the front panel for smartphones. A full size headphone socket provides the sonic goods while tone controls help tailor the sound to your liking. With Bluetooth built-in, streaming music from your smartphone, tablet or laptop is just a click away. Pair with your device and effortlessly stream your stored music and popular music streaming services such as Spotify, Deezer and Apple Music. Covering all the bases, the Cambridge Audio AXR85 also features a built-in FM/AM radio tuner and with 30 presets, you can quickly call up all your favourite stations - please note radio reception is not available in all areas. With a white display screen, this sleek looking amplifier is housed in a substantial chassis which sports a stylish thick grey brushed aluminium front panel which looks great in any interior and it comes with...another remote control!
Let's face it, you've probably got 100's or even 1000's of CDs! These still offer a high level of performance and way above MP3 - the basic standard on streaming services. The AXC25 is the entry level CD Player in the Cambridge range which naturally has all the essentials a good disc player needs. The Cambridge AXC25 is a super-cool and versatile CD player with gapless playback and featuring a high quality digital to analogue converter (DAC), to convert the digital information stored on a CD into an analogue sound signal. As well as regular audio CDs, the AXC25 will play MP3 and WMA files from home recorded CD-R, CD-RW and CD-ROM discs. There's also a dedicated digital output which allows you to record from a CD to a digital format or even connect to a standalone DAC when you're ready to improve your sound even further. With a multi-function display screen, this sleek looking CD Player is housed in a substantial chassis which sports a stylish thick grey front panel which looks great in any interior.
Wharfedale Denton Speakers
The Wharfedale Denton 85th Anniversary Edition Walnut celebrates an incredible milestone for this British brand and successfully incorporates all the elements of a 21st Century loudspeaker into a design that brims with heritage and class. If that isn't enough, their warm, rich and natural sounding character is guaranteed to win you over.
Gilbert Briggs, who founded Wharfedale in 1932, turned the company into one of the most famous loudspeaker brands in the world (and now a household name) by concentrating on quality and value for money. The Wharfedale Denton exemplified these two edicts, balancing fine craftsmanship, natural sound quality and affordability inside a compact loudspeaker that was bought in its millions right across the globe and a speaker sold by our founder Stephen Lee when he started his audio industry journey in the late 1960s. In fact when he heard Wharfedale were reintroducing them, he remarked that "it's about time!" The original Denton went on to further other models based on its highly popular formula, the Denton 3 being the last of the line...
Denton 85th Anniversary is a two-way speaker in the classic bookshelf tradition, beautifully hand veneered in Walnut or Mahogany by Wharfedale cabinet makers with an inset front baffle and traditional Tungsten cloth grille. This is exactly as it was for years. Underneath the traditional exterior, however, the Denton 85th Anniversary is bang up to date and utilises a mixture of traditional and advanced technology. The bass unit features Wharfedale's innovative woven Kevlar cone mounted on a rigid die cast chassis, this combination delivering a rich, detailed bass/midrange output with superb dynamic performance. High frequencies are handled by a woven textile soft dome treble unit with high flux ferrite magnet, engineered for smooth, detailed HF extension.
These drive units are flawlessly integrated by a highly researched crossover that is near inaudible to the listener, resulting in a coherent, seamless musical output that is both thrilling and natural in its rendition of any source material.
The original Denton was well known for its warm, rich and natural sounding character and the 85th Anniversary Edition retains that character but imbues it with an open, detailed performance that will entice you to explore your whole music collection.
Note: Wharfedale recommend you connect an amplifier/receiver in the 20 to 120 Watts per channel output. So what's the deal with the Cambridge AXR85 which is rated at a maximum 85 Watts per channel? The first thing to note is that these are at the extreme ends of the spectrum. The second is that it is distortion that kills speakers and this happens when either product is driven past its maximum and that is key. So the Cambridge AXR85 with 85 watts output per channel is right on the money so to speak and in a small to medium room, both amp and speakers operated sensibly will give a really good performance. The last point has to do with the SPL specification. To deliver good bass, the Denton's have an 88dB SPL and this requires a 'high-current' amplifier design or put simply, something like the Cambridge AXR85 receiver. Need to know more? Then call us on (03) 9874 8233.
Pre-Terminated Speaker Cable Included: Yes, this system is truly complete. The QED brand has been sold world-wide for over 40 years. In fact they started around about the same time we did. So befitting the heritage of this system we are including a 2 metre pair of QED XT 25 speaker cables - longer lengths are available for a small additional cost. To make it easy to connect to the amplifier and speakers, all ends are cold-welded with high-quality QED Airloc Forte 4mm Banana plugs making the system truly plug-n-play. We're also including a replacement QED Performance Audio 600mm RCA interconnect (CD player to Receiver) to make sure even your CDs deliver their best.
Our Take On The Cambridge Wharfedale System
The Wharfedale Denton speakers are classic 1950's to early 1970's sound which means you get a warm, rich and natural sound. There are other speakers in the same price-range including Acoustic Energy and B&W and really all three brands are winners in this price-range. But it's hard not to be attracted to the Dentons. This was the golden-era of hi-fi and produced models and a very high-level of engineering that set the pattern for today's models. Same with Cambridge Audio. The Receiver and CD player are built on solid designs that are proven performers. You can also connect a high-quality Turntable to the receiver for the ultimate analogue journey. The power out put of the Receiver is ample for the Wharfedale speakers in a small to medium sized room - say around 28 square metres. We'vepriced this system without speaker stands as 50% of systems like this end up on some sort of furniture. However, all compact speakers sound better on stands and we have included some suggestions below for those who would prefer to mount them in this manner. Last thing,if you've got a few extra dollars to spend, upgrade the cable to QED Silver Anniversary XT.
Main Features & Specifications
- Design: Complete 2.0 System including AM/FM stereo receiver; CD player; speakers and cables
- Receiver: Cambridge Audio AXR85 stereo receiver
- Power Output: 2 x 85 Watts (into 8 Ohms)
- Frequency response (-3dB): 5Hz - 50kHz
- Bass/Treble controls: Boost/cut +/- 10dB @ 100Hz and 10kHz
- Phono Input: Yes. Accepts MM (Moving Magnet) Cartridge
- Line-Level Inputs: 3 x stereo pair RCA
- Line-Level Outputs: 1 x stereo pair RCA
- Subwoofer Output: Yes
- Headphone Jack: Full size 6.35mm
- Speaker Wire Terminals: Accept bare wire or banana plugs - included
- A+B Speakers: Yes
- AM/FM Tuner: Yes, with presets. Basic dipole antenna included.
- Note: Radio reception is subject to a lot of variables and we cannot guarantee reception quality. If needed, call us to discuss further
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 430 x 83 x 335mm
- CD Player: Cambridge Audio AXC25 single disc CD player
- Files: Support for CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM discs & MP3 and WMA files
- DAC: Wolfson Microelectronics WM8524 DAC
- S/PDIF Output Impedance: <75 ohms
- Gapless Playback: Yes
- Frequency Response (+/-0.4dB): 20Hz - 20kHz
- Cables: Includes a pair of WireWorld Luna RCA Cables to connect to the receiver
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 430 x 75 x 305mm
- Wharfedale Denton - can be set up on shelves or speaker stands (sold separately - see below for recommendations)
- Design: 2-way 2-driver bookshelf speaker
- Speaker Stands: Optional Speaker Stands recommended
- Enclosure Type: Bass reﬂex
- Bass Driver: 1 x 165mm (6.5") advanced PP Cone
- Treble Driver: 1 x 25mm (1") Textile Dome
- Sensitivity (2.83V @ 1m): 88dB
- Recommended Ampliﬁer Power: 20-120 Watts - must be 'clean' undistorted power
- Peak SPL: 96dB
- Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms Compatible
- Minimum Impedance: 4 Ohms
- Frequency Response (+/-3dB): 50Hz ~ 20kHz
- Bass Extension(-6dB): 43Hz
- Crossover Frequency: 2.0kHz
- Cabinet Volume (in litres): 11.8L
- Speaker Wire Terminals: Will accept bare wire and banana plugs
- Bi-Wire Capability: Yes
- Available Speaker Finish: Black; Walnut or Mahogany
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 200 x 335 x 285 mm
- Net Weight: 8.2kg each
- Speaker Cable: 2 x 2 metre QED XT25 speaker cables
- Banana Plugs: All speaker cable ends will be terminated with high-quality Deltron UK banana plugs
- Delivery: Free Delivery
- Manufacturer's Warranty: Cambridge Components 2 Years; Wharfedale Speakers 5 Years - not including misuse.
Note: Features & Specifications Subject To Change Without Notice. E&OE
- Rega Planar 1 TurntablePriced from $649.00
- ProJect Debut Carbon EVO Acryl TurntablePriced from $979.00 (Normally Regular Price $1,089.00 )
- ProJect Debut Carbon EVO TurntablePriced from $845.00 (Normally Regular Price $939.00 )
- REL Tzero MKIII SubwooferPriced from $849.00
- Cambridge Audio Minx X301 SubwooferPriced from $1,189.00 (Normally Regular Price $1,399.00 )