Cambridge AXR85 Receiver; Acoustic Energy AE300 Speakers
Please Note: This item is in stock and ready for despatch. Please note that it may not be on demonstration or available for immediate in-store collection.
The Cambridge AXR85 is an exciting and versatile stereo receiver is the real deal. Enough power to shake your room but coupled with the larger Acoustic Energy AE300's delivers great depth in sound.
Comes supplied with appropriate cables
About Cambridge AXR85 Receiver; Acoustic Energy AE300 Speakers
Cambridge are known for their beautiful Hi-Fi components and there is no exception with the AX Series which pairs high quality with outstanding value for money and is the perfect way for the Hi-Fi curious to build their first stacking separates system. Taking design cues from Cambridge's award-winning Edge and CX ranges, Cambridge have designed the AX Series components to be a straightforward introduction to Great British Sound. To maintain the British flavour, we've teamed up with the Cambridge AXR85 stereo receiver and AXC25 CD Player with a pair of Acoustic Energy AE300 speakers and QED 79 Strand cable which both it and the Deltron banana plugs is actually made in England!
Cambridge Receiver and CD Player
The Cambridge Audio AXR85 stereo receiver forms the heart of this mid level system and delivers performance at a level way above its price point. With a very impressive 85 Watts per channel output, it has enough grunt to fill larger rooms with clean, effortless sound. Twin speaker outlets mean you can have a pair of speakers in another room or spread four speakers around a large, open-plan space. The speaker connections are substantial binding posts so thicker gauge wire can be accommodated. There are four separate stereo line level connections for connecting the CD player and any other components you own now or will maybe buy sometime in the future. There is also a dedicated phono input for a turntable, as well as a convenient 3.5mm input on the front panel for smartphones. A full size headphone socket provides the sonic goods while tone controls help tailor the sound to your liking. With Bluetooth built-in, streaming music from your smartphone, tablet or laptop is just a click away. Pair with your device and effortlessly stream your stored music and popular music streaming services such as Spotify, Deezer and Apple Music. Covering all the bases, the Cambridge Audio AXR85 also features a built-in FM/AM radio tuner and with 30 presets, you can quickly call up all your favourite stations - please note radio reception is not available in all areas. With a white display screen, this sleek looking amplifier is housed in a substantial chassis which sports a stylish thick grey brushed aluminium front panel which looks great in any interior and it comes with...another remote control!
Let's face it, you've probably got 100's or even 1000's of CDs! These still offer a high level of performance and way above MP3 - the basic standard on streaming services. The AXC25 is the entry level CD Player in the Cambridge range which naturally has all the essentials a good disc player needs. The Cambridge AXC35 is a super-cool and versatile CD player with gapless playback and featuring a high quality digital to analogue converter (DAC), to convert the digital information stored on a CD into an analogue sound signal. As well as regular audio CDs, the AXC25 will play MP3 and WMA files from home recorded CD-R, CD-RW and CD-ROM discs. There's also a dedicated digital output which allows you to record from a CD to a digital format or even connect to a standalone DAC when you're ready to improve your sound even further. With a multi-function display screen, this sleek looking CD Player is housed in a substantial chassis which sports a stylish thick grey front panel which looks great in any interior.
Acoustic Energy Speakers
Acoustic Energy was founded in 1987 with the launch of the world-renowned AE1 loudspeaker, setting new industry standards in audio performance from a compact enclosure. Their philosophy is simply to employ technology wisely, thoroughly and elegantly with one objective in mind – to accurately transfer the amplified signal into audible energy and faithfully reproduce even the most complex and dynamic musical programme… all for the love of music. Some of our other systems include the AE100 speakers and you may be wondering if there is much difference. Rest assured, there are multiple upgrades over the entry-level 100 Series, all designed to improve both audio performance and aesthetics, befitting of its more premium status.
Drivers: Bespoke new drive units have been designed in tandem to offer seamless tonal integration in addition to low distortion and high power handling benefits. The 28mm aluminium dome tweeter also features AE's WDT Wide Dispersion Technology™ and a re-designed 130mm aluminium mid-bass driver uses a ceramic aluminium sandwich cone and long throw motor system.
Rear Port & Cabinet: The new drivers are augmented by a slot shaped bass duct which allows for a considerable cross sectional area while negating the issues of the air becoming audible as it moves through the duct. The seamless cabinet enclosures boast an inert 18mm high density MDF material with proprietary internal bracing technology to reduce cabinet colouration. They’re finished in attractive real open grain walnut wood veneer, piano grade high gloss black or white lacquer options and they're sure to look good wherever you choose to place it while delivering a sound that belies its compact size.
Sub $600 standmount speakers are very well represented here at Audio Trends. Well established British brands such as Wharfedale and B&W have solid contenders available at this price point so what can the AE300 possibly bring to the table? As it happens the AE300 has a unique and seductive tonality that is markedly different from most and will appeal to people who love a sweet treble character. They have the AE signature sound and are like the 100's but with an even better stereo image and fuller sound. Where so many speakers exhibit elevated high frequencies which are guaranteed to wear the listener down over time the AE300 offers a mature and refined character that is reminiscent of much more expensive BBC type speakers. This is again a very gentlemanly loudspeaker but they can also deliver 'big-room' performance beyond their physical stature when pushed with an appropriate amplifier like the Cambridge AXR85 stereo receiver.
Review Comments:The quotes below, along with the Recommended badge, will give you a good idea of how they faired. “The compact Acoustic Energy does well here too, conjuring up a large soundstage that boldly goes – in my listening room – where few other small loudspeakers can...What the AE300 does, it does very well and is always a pleasure to listen to – in its own special way it makes music magic, and you can’t say fairer than that....The relaxed yet assured way with which the AE300 pushes the sound our into the room really impresses. The verdict? Surprisingly capable small speaker with style to spare.” - Hi-Fi Choice
Pre-Terminated Speaker Cable Included: Yes, this system is truly complete. The QED brand has been sold world-wide for over 40 years. In fact they started around about the same time we did. Audio Trends has probably sold enough 79 strand cable to go to the moon and back - well it seems that way! It is a really good quality cable with fairly neutral sound character and at a reasonable price. To make it easy to connect to the amplifier and speakers, our service department solders Deltron banana plugs to all ends making the system truly plug-n-play
Main Features & Specifications
- Design: Complete System including stereo receiver; CD player; speakers and cables
- Receiver: Cambridge Audio AXR85 stereo receiver
- Power Output: 2 x 85 Watts (into 8 Ohms)
- Frequency response (-3dB): 5Hz - 50kHz
- Bass/Treble controls: Boost/cut +/- 10dB @ 100Hz and 10kHz
- Phono Input: Yes. Accepts MM (Moving Magnet) Cartridge
- Line-Level Inputs: 3 x stereo pair RCA
- Line-Level Outputs: 1 x stereo pair RCA
- Subwoofer Output: Yes
- Headphone Jack: Full size 6.35mm
- Speaker Wire Terminals: Accept bare wire or banana plugs - included
- A+B Speakers: Yes
- AM/FM Tuner: Yes, with presets. Basic dipole antenna included.
- Note: Radio reception is subject to a lot of variables and we cannot guarantee reception quality. If needed, call us to discuss further
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 430 x 83 x 335mm
- CD Player: Cambridge Audio AXC25 single disc CD player
- Files: Support for CD-R, CD-RW, CD-ROM discs & MP3 and WMA files
- DAC: Wolfson Microelectronics WM8524 DAC
- S/PDIF Output Impedance: <75 ohms
- Gapless Playback: Yes
- Frequency Response (+/-0.4dB): 20Hz - 20kHz
- Cables: Included a pair of AudioQuest Evergreen RCA cables - 1m
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 430 x 75 x 305mm
- Speaker: Acoustic Energy AE300 standmount - can also be located on bookshelves; sideboard or wall brackets
- Design: Compact 2-way; 2-driver
- Enclosure Type: Bass reflex
- Rear Port: The rear slot porting enhances smooth bass extension with minimal room impact, allowing easy placement.
- Frequency Range: 45Hz to 35kHz ±3dB
- Maximum Power Handling: 100 Watts RMS - must be 'clean' power
- Bass/Mid Driver: 130mm (5")
- Cones: Paper
- Tweeter: 25mm (1")
- Neodymium magnet for high power and ultimate control
- Crossover: Polypropylene Capacitors
- Crossover Frequency: 2.8kHz.
- Nominal Impedance: 6 Ohms
- Sensitivity: 86dB
- Peak SPL: 112dB
- Cabinets: Sturdy 18mm MDF enclosures with carefully tuned bracing.
- Grille Covers: The AE300's come supplied with slim magnetic grilles.
- Speaker Terminals: Will accept bare wire or banana plugs (included).
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 175 x 300 x 260 mm each
- Finish/Colour: Walnut. Also available in Piano Black or Piano White
- Net Weight: 6.5 Kg each
- Speaker Cable: 2 x 2 metre QED 79 Strand speaker cable
- Banana Plugs: All speaker cable ends will be terminated with high-quality Deltron UK banana plugs
- Delivery: Free Delivery
- Manufacturer's Warranty: Cambridge Components 2 Years; Acoustic Energy Speakers 5 Years - not including misuse.
Note: Features & Specifications Subject To Change Without Notice. E&OE