Anthem MRX 740 Home Theatre Receiver
Please Note: This item is usually in stock and ready for despatch. Please note that it may not be on demonstration or available for immediate in-store collection.
7.2 Channel AV Receiver, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X & IMAX Enhanced
5 x 140 Watts Per Channel Class AB, 2 x 60 Watts per Channel Class D
Advanced Anthem ARC Genesis Speaker Calibration System
Bluetooth, Apple AirPlay 2, Google Chromecast, Zone 2 HDMI Output
About The Anthem MRX 740 Home Theatre Receiver
The Anthem MRX 740 Audio Visual Receiver is this upmarket Canadian company’s middle model and it could very well be the pick when it comes to price versus features and performance. The seven-channel MRX 740 is ideal for powering a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos or DTS:X system — that's the traditional five speakers and subwoofer configuration, plus a pair of upward-firing or in-ceiling speakers for overhead effects.
The Anthem MRX 740 is the middle child of what is surely one of the most desirable AV receiver line ups currently available. It has a great set of features and connections and the same understated good looks as the rest of the latest Anthem range and a price that is absolutely spot on.
Let’s start with some of the biggest numbers – it has 140 watts of Class AB amplification over the 5 main channels with a further 60 watts of Class D amplification powering the remaining 2 surround/Dolby Atmos channels, along with a total of 11.2 channel preamplifier outputs available via RCA. So that means, if you add a couple of extra power amps, you have the option to shoehorn 4 Atmos speakers, 7 front & surround speakers and 2 subwoofers into your poor unsuspecting AV room if you so desire. This gives it the ability to handle the most complex object-oriented surround formats like Dolby Atmos, DTS:X & IMAX Enhanced and being able to handle 2 independent subwoofers means the bass will have no trouble keeping up with all those speakers.
The MRX 740 features a modernised design with high-resolution front panel display, and Anthem's “next generation multi-core DSP”, and an all-new electronics platform that supports the aforementioned 11.2 channels, HDMI 2.0b and HDCP 2.2. There's also a new networking platform with web-based setup and over-the-air updates. Using a phone, tablet or laptop, owners can easily access any function or setting and make changes on the fly.
This is what Anthem had to say about the new range. "Each line up has been refreshed with careful thought regarding the features and capabilities that enthusiasts want and need. The new releases are a culmination of the research and learnings from the past five years and make Anthem the ultimate powerhouse of any home theatre or media room." John Bagby, Managing Director, Paradigm Electronics Inc, parent company of Anthem
A Closer Look
Since the original AVM 50 and Statement D2 A/V, music lovers and home theatre enthusiasts have coveted Anthem’s premium audio visual receivers. Featuring industry-leading room correction, expert management of the latest audio formats and robust integration, the Anthem can function as a class leading nerve centre of any premium home theatre or media room. The MRX 740 is a great alternative when your requirements and pockets aren’t quite up to flagship levels. That being said, this AVR is extremely competent and with upgraded audio circuitry, 2 subwoofer outputs and a 32-bit AKM AK4458VN DAC with 768kHz sampling capability, it represents Anthem’s vision for audio visual excellence.
Object-oriented audio codecs have been updated with support for up to 11.2 channels, as well as built-in streaming support for Apple AirPlay2, Google Chromecast, Bluetooth, Spotify Connect (coming soon) and Roon (coming soon). Video support includes 7 HDMI 2.0 inputs with 2 outputs, plus eARC for seamless integration with smart TVs. Perfect passthrough of Ultra HD signals at up to 18.2 Gbps with Dolby Vision, HDR or Hybrid Log Gamma ensuring optimal presentation of your visual media.
Putting The Power Where You Need It Most: Anthem have cleverly put the highest output channels where they are needed most instead of trying to send the same amplification to all 7 speakers. To be specific, the MRX 740 has Class AB amplification for the front left, centre, right and two surrounds rated at 140 continuous which will drive even power hungry speakers to decent levels. The remaining 2 surround/Dolby Atmos channels are rated at a quite sufficient 60 watts continuous in Class D mode which gives plenty of oomph for those channels but has the benefit of saving space and running cool, calm and collected inside the MRX 740.
New ARC Genesis Room Correction: Your room has a bigger impact on the sound than any component in your system. Anthem's new ARC Genesis is an easy to use room correction system that gives your sound a huge improvement. ARC takes out all the big peaks to let you hear your home theatre and music soundtracks the way the engineers intended. This new generation of Anthem AV products features the latest version of ARC Genesis Room correction and the redesigned and higher precision calibration microphone. New features include support for both Mac and Windows, new target curve adjustment options including deep bass and high frequencies, improved algorithms and much more. This third generation of Anthem Room Correction software represents a significant leap forward in room correction with the most comprehensive set of features yet. ARC Genesis transforms the audio performance of compatible speakers or electronics while retaining the unique character of any room. Proprietary Digital Signal Processing (DSP) software works in tandem with a calibrated microphone to provide astonishing improvements to the sound you hear.
Introducing Anthem Web User Interface: The Anthem Web User Interface is now built into all MRX Receivers and AVM Processors. Using a phone, tablet or laptop, owners can easily access any function or setting and make changes on the fly. Power the main or second zone on and off, adjust volume, change audio modes or tweak channel trims for a perfect surround sound experience. The Web UI can also be used to calibrate speaker delays and levels and configure network settings/control options. Source devices can be renamed, simplifying set up by enabling the elimination of unused inputs. Installers can import and export files to make remote management simple and convenient.
Channel Re-Assignment: MRX Series Receiver channels can be assigned in many ways. Unused amplifier channels can be re-assigned to bi-amplify demanding front speakers, power surrounds, presence speakers, or a second zone (Available on MRX 1140 and MRX 740). Configure amplifier channels for your system's needs, then perfect the presentation with ARC Genesis.
Latest Audio & Video Features: New features, capabilities and robust integration position the Anthem AVX Series as the critical control centre of premium home theatre and audio. The MRX 740 is designed to offer a spectacular home theatre experience with the most advanced audio and video processing features.
- IMAX Enhanced: IMAX Enhanced is the only way to experience IMAX’s signature picture, sound and scale in the home, IMAX Enhanced combines digitally remastered 4K HDR content and DTS audio technologies with best-in-class consumer electronics products and streaming platforms
- Dolby Atmos: Sound has never sounded this good. Feel a deeper connection to the stories and music you love with sound that moves all around you with breathtaking realism
- DTS:X: DTS:X is the next-generation audio codec from DTS that leverages object-based audio to enable new audio experiences in immersion and interactivity. Experience how truly immersive audio transforms your favourite movies, music and games.
- Dolby Vision: Feel the story’s full emotional impact, bringing your entertainment to life with an ultra-vivid picture, brighter highlights, and darker shadows.
Robust Integration: The Anthem MRX 740 features external control and IP control capabilities for easy customization and compatibility with third-party integration solutions. It offers IP control capability for major third-party control devices including Control 4, Savant, RTI, Crestron, Elan and more.
Imagine The Possibilities: The Anthem MRX 740 features 7 amplification channels and, with an extra amplifier or two, support for as many as 11 speakers and 2 subwoofers to handle the latest Dolby Atmos and DTS:X object-oriented audio codecs. Pair an MRX 740 AV receiver with an Anthem MCA amplifier or two and you’ll achieve a sound that rivals commercial cinemas. The MRX 740’s scalability means you can start with just the receiver itself and progress to more ambitious setups as your desire and funds allow. The MRX 740 AVR can manage configurations up to 11.2 channels with ARC Genesis Room Correction ensuring the best possible sound at every seat. And you won’t need to hide your gear from view because Anthem’s modernized design extends to every component in their line-up.
Our Take On The Anthem MRX740 Home Theatre Receiver
As already mentioned, the Anthem MRX 740 AV receiver is part of one of the most desirable AV receiver ranges on the planet. It really does offer a fantastic level of accomplishment for the money. We think that most audio visual requirement that enthusiasts have on their hit list will be well and truly ticked off by the MRX 740. And, unlike most other companies, Anthem don’t change their AV products every year. They spent 5 years developing this range to be as future proof as possible and they’ll probably spend 5 years developing the next. So that means you can purchase an Anthem setup now and relax and enjoy your home theatre system and not have to worry about upgrading again for a good long while to come.
The MRX 740 really is a great example of what a well designed AV receiver can offer going forward. It has oodles of power, especially through the main channels and ample connectivity including 11.2 channels of processing power that allows you to create a home theatre system with up to 4 Atmos channels, 7 front & surround channels, and 2 subwoofers. This lets you reproduce object-oriented surround formats like Dolby Atmos & DTS:X with ease. Anthem’s ground breaking ARC Genesis room correction software is also available to ensure your system sounds as good as possible no matter what type of room you have, taking outright performance to the next level. As if all this wasn’t enough the MRX 740 looks sophisticated and modern with a clean design that cleverly hides the wealth of possibilities within.
Main Features & Specifications
- Design: High performance 7.2 channel home theatre receiver
Power & Processing
- 7-channel amplifier
- 5 channels rated at 140 watts (Class AB)
- 2 channels rated at 60 watts (Class D)
- Dolby and DTS surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos and DTS:X processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping home theatre sound
- IMAX Enhanced reproduces the full dynamic range of specially encoded IMAX soundtracks from compatible sources
- ARC Genesis speaker calibration system helps fine-tune your system to best match your room's acoustics
- Requires installation of free ARC Genesis software on a Mac or PC prior to calibration
- Audiophile-grade 32-bit/768kHz DAC (digital to analogue converter)
- Large front-panel display gives you easy-to-read status updates at a glance
- Digital & Streaming
- Built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- Built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free internet radio, and music services
- Free future firmware update will include support for Spotify and Roon
- Apple AirPlay 2 lets you stream directly from an iPhone or iPad and ask Siri to play Apple Music (via free future firmware update)
- Google Chromecast for wireless music streaming from compatible devices
- Dual-room/dual-source output
- Amp assign function lets you use the surround back speaker outputs in different configurations like bi-amping the front speakers, or for use in Zone 2
- Using powered 2nd-room output allows 5.2-channel sound in main room
- Zone 2 stereo preamp outputs for use with an optional external amplifier
- Zone 2 HDMI output
- HDMI 2.0b audio/video switching: 7 in, 3 out
- All HDMI connections support 4K/60Hz video
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with Ultra HD sources and TVs
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible TVs and HDR-encoded content
- Supports HDR10, Dolby Vision, and HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)
- Supports ARC (Audio Return Channel) and eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel)
- eARC receives uncompressed surround sound signals including Dolby Atmos and DTS:X via the HDMI connection with your compatible TV
- HDMI board is easily upgradeable to accommodate possible future hardware updates
- Digital audio inputs: 3 Toslink optical, 2 coaxial
- 5 analogue stereo RCA audio inputs
- 11.2-channel RCA preamp outputs
- Outputs for 7 speakers (Front L/R, Centre, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R)
- Full-sized front-panel headphone jack
- Intuitive browser-based control interface
- Easily turn zones on and off, adjust settings, switch up speaker configurations, and more
- Supports smartphones, tablets, and computer browsers
- Support for IP-based third-party remote control systems
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 432 x 166 x 336mm (382mm including knobs & connections)
- Weight: 12kg
- Manufacturer's Warranty: 3 Years
Note: Features & Specifications Subject To Change Without Notice. E&OE